SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Any luck on your install? My kit did not come with instructions, I figured I could wing it. spent about 2 hours flipping brackets around, different order, hat and rotor combos. I have an e-mail into Revolution. I 'll let you know what I find out. Or did you figure out the puzzle?
I have not had time. I will this week. I have a call into Kevin about all the parts.

Jeff

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
How much more brake pedal travel will you have? and can the standard brake pump produce enough pressure and fluid for those pistons to clamp hard?

How much bigger is the pad compared to the standard ones.

·
Registered
772 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
How much more brake pedal travel will you have? and can the standard brake pump produce enough pressure and fluid for those pistons to clamp hard?

My brake pedal feels the same before the AP brakes as it did after. I still get great feel/modulation & applying enough pressure definantly isn't a issue due to being able to lock the brakes up at high speeds.

pad 2-3x's bigger then stock & equally more expensive :(

Not sure how agressive the pads are that Jeff has but my only complaint is when the brakes are cold the rears lock up before the front does. When the front pads have heat the car is very balanced. However ideally it would be nice to have a brake bias controller in my car.....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
jprop said:
I have not had time. I will this week. I have a call into Kevin about all the parts.

Jeff
For some reason they botched up the order and sent the wrong depth of hats, rotor fasteners and caliper bracket spacers. This is why the original parts in all different combos did not work. Got a hold of them and the made the corrections, mocked it up and sent me new parts. Thinking I was golden with the new parts I went for the install this weekend. Much better, but still some issues. The spacers were a bit too long putting the caliper too far inboard. This ment the inboard pad all sorts of room to slide in but the outdb didn't stand a chance of fitting. I did some shimming with extra washers to line things up but, I still had to remove about .05 inches of material from the outbd pad. After getting all that squared away I'm thinking put the hoses on, bleed and I'm ready to do some brake tests.... The interface from the chassis fitting is a female and the AN adapter they sent me is a female.
Needless to say even duct tape won't fit that.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
ShadowWorks said:

It is not only the pad area, but the increase in rotor diameter giving you a longer lever arm. The new rotors are 12.6" vs 11" We will see on the travel and clamp force. Maybe it will match clutch:suprised;

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Squaab99t said:
It is not only the pad area, but the increase in rotor diameter giving you a longer lever arm. The new rotors are 12.6" vs 11" We will see on the travel and clamp force. Maybe it will match clutch:suprised;

Finally got it all put together. The company who engineered the kit had some trouble with the parts list and thus I had the wrong parts and it would never fit up. All cleared up and now she rolls on a set of 4 pot calipers and 13" rotors with aluminum hats. Pedal travel is about the same or a bit shorter, but very firm. I did not get a chance to bed them it, so can't comment on performance. Link to more pixs: http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/album633

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Saturday morning screaming thru the neighborhood slamming on the brakes. :p First couple runs on the bed in were pretty whimpy and as I ran more and higher speed stops she started to bite harder. Good modulation, so not an on off. :cool: The roads were damp, so lockup was pretty easy, but could pull back on the pressure and find the threshold.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Matthew said:
I'm liking those wheels :D Which Ronal product are they?

Presumably this brake conversion would also fit behind 16-inch Aero wheels?
Thanks Matthew. Those would be the Ronal RT. I liked them because they has the same styling as one of the newer 9-5 wheel. The wheels came with 10mm spacers and new longer bolts.
http://www.ronalusa.com/wheels/rt.html
I think Jeff is trying to install behind a 16inch Aero. I believe he is having to use spacers. They have a template profile of the kit, so I could send that to you if you PM.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Man, have I been out of touch!! Been too busy mucking around with my S2000... ;) Li Arc was talking about me I think in his post.

My car's an 88 SPG. The big brake kit was from Precision Brakes Company. I think it was Damien Shulock who originally commissioned the setup. When I later tried contacting them, I found out that Revolution Brakes had bought out their designs and were running things now.

The kit I have on the car uses 325mm discs (IIRC), but I forget which Wilwood caliper. 4-pots though. For the street, I adjusted the brake master to give a better initial feel. There was a bit of rumble through the pedal after one season's use (spring to fall for me). I remedied this by having the rotors turned. Had to find the right shop to do it though - ended up being the local joint that handles high end German and Italian stuff. No one else would touch them because they figured the cross drilled and slots would be hard on the turning machine's bits - which is false, as I talked to a distributor of the machines and he said they'd be no problem, and that rust is actually harder on the bits than slotted and drilled rotors. Revolution told later me that they expected 10-15,000 or so km out of a set of rotors, and that's what I got out of them, so I guess it's okay. Not a huge rumble, mind you, just when coming to a complete stop.

Feel on the brakes is quite good on the circuit, better than the stock brakes on the S2000 IMO. Car can't quite handle as well as the S2k though... :)

And yes, the big brakes only fit underneath the 17" OZ Crono Evolutions I have on the car. If I remember right, Scanwest's kit uses smaller rotors, but will fit under the lovely Aeros and Super Aeros.

I have somewhere an invoice from a guy I dealt with who had Precision Brakes Company do up a custom big brake setup for this -87 c900, so the drawings are out there. Perhaps talk to someone in the know at Revolution and they can hook you up? Otherwise, the cheaper option, and what I did on the 99 rally car, was install just a set of Wilwood 4-pots with the stock rotors. Needed spacers to position the caliper properly, and also the holes in the mounting ears had to be drilled out slightly, but not a big deal. These will fit with some stock wheels, definitely not the Ronal 'minilites', but definitely with the ugly ugly 'manhole cover' wheels - which I have on the rallycar.

li Arc said:
I would be interested in seeing if they can provide something for the older-style hub front-handbrake system, as I am tired of clunking brakes. I did talk to another enthusiast in Edmonton two months back who had these Wilwoods installed already, and he mentioned he was not too overly impressed with their performance...he had an 86 or 88 SPG I believe, and he said the rotors warped after 1 year of use. He said he might try other rotors. Indeed, they looked good, and he mentioned that he had to move to 17" wheels to accomodate the size, but he says as far as their performance goes, they really gave him an appreciation of the stock Saab brakes; they're about just as good.

That being said, I'd still be curious how much you guys paid...no part numbers required, just want to see what I might need to allocate to get rid of that crazy noise that seems to frighten passengers and pedestrians alike! :p

li Arc

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Vince T said:
Man, have I been out of touch!! Been too busy mucking around with my S2000... ;) Li Arc was talking about me I think in his post.

My car's an 88 SPG. The big brake kit was from Precision Brakes Company. I think it was Damien Shulock who originally commissioned the setup. When I later tried contacting them, I found out that Revolution Brakes had bought out their designs and were running things now.

The kit I have on the car uses 325mm discs (IIRC), but I forget which Wilwood caliper. 4-pots though. For the street, I adjusted the brake master to give a better initial feel. There was a bit of rumble through the pedal after one season's use (spring to fall for me). I remedied this by having the rotors turned. Had to find the right shop to do it though - ended up being the local joint that handles high end German and Italian stuff. No one else would touch them because they figured the cross drilled and slots would be hard on the turning machine's bits - which is false, as I talked to a distributor of the machines and he said they'd be no problem, and that rust is actually harder on the bits than slotted and drilled rotors. Revolution told later me that they expected 10-15,000 or so km out of a set of rotors, and that's what I got out of them, so I guess it's okay. Not a huge rumble, mind you, just when coming to a complete stop.

Feel on the brakes is quite good on the circuit, better than the stock brakes on the S2000 IMO. Car can't quite handle as well as the S2k though... :)

And yes, the big brakes only fit underneath the 17" OZ Crono Evolutions I have on the car. If I remember right, Scanwest's kit uses smaller rotors, but will fit under the lovely Aeros and Super Aeros.

I have somewhere an invoice from a guy I dealt with who had Precision Brakes Company do up a custom big brake setup for this -87 c900, so the drawings are out there. Perhaps talk to someone in the know at Revolution and they can hook you up? Otherwise, the cheaper option, and what I did on the 99 rally car, was install just a set of Wilwood 4-pots with the stock rotors. Needed spacers to position the caliper properly, and also the holes in the mounting ears had to be drilled out slightly, but not a big deal. These will fit with some stock wheels, definitely not the Ronal 'minilites', but definitely with the ugly ugly 'manhole cover' wheels - which I have on the rallycar.
Hello Vince
It has been awhile. Glad to see you are still lurking about. I tried to do the same route as you and Damien and Scanwest told me Precision was out of biz. Daryl Armstrong is the engineer I was worked with at Revolution. We went with the 302 mm rotors and the superlight calipers. Those fit behind my 16" Ronals. When I spoke with them they said they had changed a lot of their kits to the from the dynalights to the superlights for stiffness. The rotors are just slotted and not drilled. The S2000 is a great autox car. Time to upgrade to the new "race" version?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts