SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, does SAAB make a real service manual or is that Bentley thing the best I'll be able to get? I heard something about a 9 book volume, or something, but I haven't been able to find much (read: anything) about it. Thanks in advance.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
That Bentley thing is a subset of Saab's own service manuals. You won't get better than those.

You might get lucky and find a full set of the Saab manuals (EBay, for example), but finding a set of upto date volumes would take time. Someone mentioned a while back to me that you can still buy them new from Saab.

There are nine volumes IIRC in the set, all ring-bound in hard-backed folders with metal spines. More for an indoor reference then getting grubby in the garage if you ask me :)

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
but do be careful of CD-based workshop manuals from eBay. There's a shark on there selling manuals on CD which are a PITA to get working and when you actually get in there the content is absolute trash. All just general advice and you can tell pretty-much straight away that its nothing to do with Saabs and is of no use to anyone.

No need to ask how I know :roll:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Yeah they are complete **** those CD manuals for C900. Some are EPC some are just PDF files telling you how to do an oil change on a Fiesta.

Saab full manual costs about $500 USD new and not much less used. If you are doing something like a transmission rebuild, I'd buy the factory transmission manual, about USD 15. But I wouldn't go for the whole thing.

Bentley costs about USD 45 and seems to be good. I don't have one.

Haynes costs about USD 10 but it's complete trash. I don't have one but I borrowed one out of the library (can you believe they have Saab books?)

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
CD's claiming to be of service manuals are nearly always pirated copies, therefore illegal under British law, which Saab Central is subject to.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
900t said:
Saab full manual costs about $500 USD new and not much less used.
Wow... I had no idea it was quite that much new. I feel lucky now having found a mint set of manuals for £50 (US$87, CA$106). The downside is that they're a real mixture of different model years - brakes for example are upto MY86, engine's upto MY89 but the Lucas EFi manual's also in there! I think the previous owner must have ordered the manuals one at a time across the years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, the tranny rebuild thing was actually what I wanted them for, that and brake rebuild stuff. I'll look into that inexpensive rebuild manual.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Matthew said:
Wow... I had no idea it was quite that much new. I feel lucky now having found a mint set of manuals for £50 (US$87, CA$106). The downside is that they're a real mixture of different model years - brakes for example are upto MY86, engine's upto MY89 but the Lucas EFi manual's also in there! I think the previous owner must have ordered the manuals one at a time across the years.
What a deal! On ebay they go for good money and never a complete set. They may have been a little cheaper when the cars were new, but now since everything has gone electronic on WIS (except us) everything is going up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts