SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my US-Spec headlight frames for my -84 900. In Finland these are quite rare treat and they should make the car stand out of hundreds of 900's we have on our roads so I am determined to install them. :cool:

Being European, I'm used to proper headlights instead of sealed beams, so I started to think if its possible to modify some other cars headlights in 900's frames. I can think a few cars that could have approximately same size headlights with the 900, for example old Mazda 323F, Early -90's Toyota Hiace, bunch of pick-ups and of course Saab 99/90. Has anyone made this kind of modification and if so, which headlights did you use? Also I'd be grateful if someone could measure some of these or other headlights that might fit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you talking about the square 6054 bulbs (200mm I think)? If so, e-code lenses that use a removable H4 bulb (that should be compatible with your existing wiring harness/plugs) are readily available. I picked mine up at rallylights.com, but in Europe you should be able to get e-code 6054's anywhere.

Here's a picture of mine, are they the same?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
BUt the H4 lamps are brighter and more attractive!

You are going to have the Americans all over you for your old H4 units. We got H4 units in Canada and are super proud of them.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
woywitka said:
Indeed. H4 headlights are way better in terms of light distribution efficiency than the older sealed-beam style used on pre-87 c900's in the USA.

And it's a lot easier to change the lamps when they fail. Also, along with plenty of cheap-*** Asian made H4 bulbs, there are some really good European made ones from Philips, Narva, etc.

Craig.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
woywitka said:

You are going to have the Americans all over you for your old H4 units. We got H4 units in Canada and are super proud of them.
Not when they are 25 years old, then they suck and suck very much :p

The great advantage to sealed beam is it is sealed, so you just buy a new bulb and you have 100 % light everywhere with a nice shiny new reflector and all kinds of fun stuff :cool:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
900t said:
The great advantage to sealed beam is it is sealed, so you just buy a new bulb and you have 100 % light everywhere with a nice shiny new reflector and all kinds of fun stuff :cool:
Well, yes, but when they're 100%, they're about as bright as ancient dull H4s, right?

I have to admit, I don't remember sealed beams over here _at all_. I think they were briefly popular in pikey-spec cars in the late 60s/early 70s, but quickly died out. Most will have been binned and replaced with "proper" replacable-bulb (which effectively means Halogen. although not necessarily) lamps - dead easy, what with 'em being standard sizes...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been told that there was just few models of those sealed beams, many cars, such as Volvo 480, Mazda 323F, Toyota Hiace and Hilux used the same headlights but as H4. I'll test Toyota Hiace -lights sometime next week, they should be bolt-on. We'll see.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Well, yes, but when they're 100%, they're about as bright as ancient dull H4s, right?

I have to admit, I don't remember sealed beams over here _at all_. I think they were briefly popular in pikey-spec cars in the late 60s/early 70s, but quickly died out. Most will have been binned and replaced with "proper" replacable-bulb (which effectively means Halogen. although not necessarily) lamps - dead easy, what with 'em being standard sizes...
Not really... of course you can have halogen lamps in sealed beams ;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Jokke A said:
I bought headlights of Toyota Hiace and they were bolt-on to US-Spec headlight mounts. :cool:
I woudl expect something like that. The old Scirocco there had a 4 headlight version, each of them in the same square headlight size the sealed beam ones so used, thanks to DOT, here. FYI, even today the DOT demands the beam pattern to be really crappy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts