SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking on eBay to see what the IC prices are. Found a '97 9000 "low miles" one for $35 about 1.5 hours from me. The only other seller had 'em for $100 (around 10...crazy) and I just got my paycheck...
So this is what I got:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=200156712980

I'm planning on going monday (got 3 chapters of a book to read/write about by the end of today for a college exam) to get it.

Now your going to tell me it won't even remotly fit right? lol

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Can't really tell how large it is, there's no point of dimensional reference! It'll fit - sure - you might have to do some fabrication - but it'll fit. Sweet deal!

Now go read those chapters! Then, when you're all done with grad school you can sit in your office, answer Saab questions and pretend to work!;)

Steve

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
That'll fit, although you will have to cut the tow hooks. Look for the thread "let's see your FMIC" in the performance section, also the thread comparing volvo to 9000 IC's.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
SteveTheFolkie said:
Now go read those chapters! Then, when you're all done with grad school you can sit in your office, answer Saab questions and pretend to work!;) Steve

Are you looking over my shoulder? :eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Chop off the tow hooks? Need a better Sawzall then...mine (actually my dad's) doesn't like to keep the blade engaged (stays attached but doesn't always move with the motor).

That looks larger then I thought it would....time to get the A/C out and I'll have to check out how to re-route the intake, as well as move the battery.

Good thing this'll be a 2nd car for me for a while...I can deal with the downtime it's goona have :)

Oh, wanna know the best part? I didn't know about my paypal account having about $50 in it that I can use...means this cost around $9 "real money." :D

·
Registered
751 Posts
make sure your piping is good and solid. dont skimp on that part, its more important than getting the IC to stay straight!

Your bumper will look a mess aswell, so take time to trim it neatly

most importantly have fun! :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definatly didn't make a mistake as long as I get the tubing setup right. The in/out ports are "inline" with the IC, not at 90º like others I've seen so that may present problems...but I can see why the tow hooks have to go.

I took a couple of pics of it, next to the mini origional thing. It looks pitiful next to the new one lol
This one is with the stock one on top of the "new" one. Clearly the new one is larger...but not by all that much.

This one is with them both vertical. Now you really can see the differance.

Now to rip the non-working A/C out to make room and/or offset the "extra" weight (11lbs...dunno what the stock one weighs).

I don't think it'll have the major improvment I was hoping for but it'll clean up the intake path to something I "like" and puts it in a better place then stock so it'll be some improvement at least. Now to look up how to move the airbox to the other side.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it's a lot smaller then I thought it'd be. Maybe I can get a 2nd one, squish 'em together and have custom end caps made.

Wish it was as big as that one...lol

Any chance of saving the tow hooks with the one I got? I have a feeling I'm gonna need them this winter...:lol:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Those tow hooks are whimpy and I would not tow the vehicle with them. When I did my intercooler I lost 2 bumper supports and the tow hooks.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
fetchitfido said:
Any chance of saving the tow hooks with the one I got? I have a feeling I'm gonna need them this winter...:lol:
No chance with a 9000 IC. The two hooks must go.

Don't worry about it not being big enough. You will definitely notice a difference with it. I've got a big alloy three inch wide number on the car now and to be perfectly honest the @rse dyno told me there was little or no gain over the 9000 IC I had on before.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
fetchitfido said:
Do they just bolt onto the 900 like on the 99's? Just redrill and refit them slightly out the way, or make up some longer ones to clear the IC.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Tomarse said:
Do they just bolt onto the 900 like on the 99's? Just redrill and refit them slightly out the way, or make up some longer ones to clear the IC.
Nah Tom. They're an "integral" part of the structure. I've heard it said that it's dangerous to cut them off due to this fact :lol: The problem is they're too close together for the 9000IC to fit over. Roadside recovery vehicles rarely use them these days anyway, and yes, I am speaking from cooling system explosion induced experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts