SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In terms of power, to put it plainly, I want to be thrown back into my seat after a stop light turns. More 0-60 than 1/4 mile time.
I plan to tune the ECU (via ecuproject, but will shell out $$ if I can't get it myself), viggen IC, 3" exhaust, 2.5" cat, injectors. Have an open air filter since the old one needed to be replaced anyway, but that's about it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Buy a different car - you need RW or AW drive.
Yep. As a street car it's pretty damn hard to get it to be a stoplight king. Even when modded the best aspect of acceleration is found from a roll.

After one try with my new transmission, I managed a 5.1 second 0-60 pull. That's when I also realized that I couldn't push my car for the next 12 months until I made it back home the next year to rebuild the engine, after seeing the cloud of smoke in my rearview mirror :(

Anyway, that's the best I've ever done and maybe it could be improved upon a little bit but it still didn't feel like crazy fast acceleration because I limit boost quite a bit in second gear.

If you're still set on it, though, look for a turbo that doesn't spool too quickly. In first gear, it's pretty useless to have max torque at such a low speed cause the tires can let go so easily. I would probably recommend something like a TD04-19T with a 6cm^2 housing, and a tune by someone who doesn't spike the hell out of the torque so it's manageable and easy to modulate with your right foot. It'll yield at least 300whp which is plenty to make a fast 0-60 pull with practice.

·
Registered
511 Posts
In terms of power, to put it plainly, I want to be thrown back into my seat after a stop light turns. More 0-60 than 1/4 mile time.
I plan to tune the ECU (via ecuproject, but will shell out $$ if I can't get it myself), viggen IC, 3" exhaust, 2.5" cat, injectors. Have an open air filter since the old one needed to be replaced anyway, but that's about it.

Any suggestions?
Saabs do much better from a roll.
Once tuned, we can pass just about anything.

Also if you are going to change the IC anyways, just but aftermarket instead of the Viggen.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
you wouldnt go through gear boxes if you didnt rev to 4 grand and dump it. launching a fwd car takes talent, you have to slip the clutch rather than just dump it spinning the **** out of the tires, and destroying your box and diff. and you can still be a stoplight king even though you dont get the holeshot. i have raced my buddies awd tt stealth a few times, and yeah he tears off the line like a bat out of hell but soon as i spool and hit 2nd-3rd im passed him like he never moved. massive turbo lag makes people think your car is slow. for example when i had the gt40 on my car, if i drove normal (shifting at 3k) the car drove like a 1.2L non turbo pulling a trailer up hill. since i spooled at 4800-5k if i drug her out, as soon as that monster spooled up sounding like i had freaking jet turbine under the hood holy crap thing pulled like you would not believe. pissed a lot of hondas, srt4's and sti's off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
since i spooled at 4800-5k if i drug her out, as soon as that monster spooled up sounding like i had freaking jet turbine under the hood holy crap thing pulled like you would not believe.
So, consensus is I need to go from a roll, which I'm absolutely fine with.
I absolutely LOVE massive turbo spool. And quite like the idea of slingshotting past someone after giving them a small head start :lol:
Not sure if a GT40 would fit though...maybe a GT30?

My buddy jetted off from a roll last night in his Z in semi-manual and it was terrifyingly good (also terrifyingly bad because his car has the worst traction I've ever seen, quite surprised we didn't catapult sideways, and also bad because it smelled like something was burning. Kept the tachometer high for so long...:roll:).
I'd like to recreate that a bit...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
So, consensus is I need to go from a roll, which I'm absolutely fine with.
I absolutely LOVE massive turbo spool. And quite like the idea of slingshotting past someone after giving them a small head start :lol:
Not sure if a GT40 would fit though...maybe a GT30?

My buddy jetted off from a roll last night in his Z in semi-manual and it was terrifyingly good (also terrifyingly bad because his car has the worst traction I've ever seen, quite surprised we didn't catapult sideways, and also bad because it smelled like something was burning. Kept the tachometer high for so long...:roll:).
I'd like to recreate that a bit...
You won't quite need a GT40 for that. There's only so much usable torque on this crappy chassis so something like a GTX30 or so would be fine.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
gt40 fits with a slim fan and a log manifold.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

Any suggestions?
I got 6.1 seconds with a T25. Obviously nowhere near the potential of a GT30-40's series or other turbos, but it's possible to get decent 0-60 times with practice. That particular run I ran 60-70% throttle in 1st until around 4k, where I went WOT until redline. Minor mods to the car and roughly 200+ pounds lighter than stock. Biggest thing is getting the least restrictive catalytic converter 3" in/outs with 3" pipes to promote quick spooling (or no converter) and don't spin the tires as it slows the car down. The quicker the turbo gives boost the better. Learn how to moderate power with your foot in 1st gear.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I got 6.1 seconds with a T25. Obviously nowhere near the potential of a GT30-40's series or other turbos, but it's possible to get decent 0-60 times with practice. That particular run I ran 60-70% throttle in 1st until around 4k, where I went WOT until redline. Minor mods to the car and roughly 200+ pounds lighter than stock. Biggest thing is getting the least restrictive catalytic converter 3" in/outs with 3" pipes to promote quick spooling (or no converter) and don't spin the tires as it slows the car down. The quicker the turbo gives boost the better. Learn how to moderate power with your foot in 1st gear.
That's a contradiction within itself :roll:.

60-70% throttle until 4krpm and then pounding on it? So then what's the point of spooling as quickly as possible at 2krpm just to hold off until you're at a less efficient rpm range for the turbo?

Stock turbo makes peak torque low down in the rpm range. The ONLY gear where you'll be as low as 2krpm is 1st (and as this guy mentioned it's useless to floor it at that point) and from then when you shift you'll be much higher in the rpm than that - I don't have the chart on this laptop but something like 3.5-4krpm at least. When you shift you want to be at a point in your powerband where you're making torque not falling off.

I keep going off on this tangent but if you really want to go faster an upgraded turbo is a must. Yes it's possible to make some decent power and run some 13 second quarter mile on the stock turbo but the only time you deal with lag on a larger one is in first gear (if we're talking going from a stop) and that's dealt with using CarPc's launch control feature, clutch slipping, etc. After that, if you're shifting as quickly as you should be the turbo is already spooled and will stay spinning between gearshifts. Handle a T28 or a TD04-19T, or larger.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
That's a contradiction within itself :roll:.

60-70% throttle until 4krpm and then pounding on it? So then what's the point of spooling as quickly as possible at 2krpm just to hold off until you're at a less efficient rpm range for the turbo?
I have you blocked but looked to see if anything worthwhile was being added, which doesn't seem to be the case. As usual you single me out for BS and the mods are slow to react or care.

For ME to get 6.1 sec with a STOCK turbo, I feathered it in 1st until I knew it wouldn't spin the tires, then WOT. We're talking a couple seconds here. I'm FLATTERED that you almost remembered my spool time, but it wasn't mentioned here so where 2k is coming from I dunno as it spooled @1800. Just because WOT wasn't used below 4k, doesn't mean it's not making more power than it would with NO boost. It was usually around 8-10 psi before WOT. The earlier it spools, the quicker you're above the NA hp level which is like 115hp. Seeing as how I've been running the car with the CHRA out of it for the rebuild/upgrade, it's almost as bad a diesel. 6 seconds isn't even that fast, but I mentioned as it's still a second faster than a bone stock 9-3. This was also done with 16 psi MAX. So quicker times would be possible. Also, with no cat it ran it's fastest shifting at redline. When it had a cat, shifting around 5500 helped it as redline slowed it. Bugger off already.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I have you blocked but looked to see if anything worthwhile was being added, which doesn't seem to be the case. As usual you single me out for BS and the mods are slow to react or care.

For ME to get 6.1 sec with a STOCK turbo, I feathered it in 1st until I knew it wouldn't spin the tires, then WOT. We're talking a couple seconds here. I'm FLATTERED that you almost remembered my spool time, but it wasn't mentioned here so where 2k is coming from I dunno as it spooled @1800. Just because WOT wasn't used below 4k, doesn't mean it's not making more power than it would with NO boost. It was usually around 8-10 psi before WOT. The earlier it spools, the quicker you're above the NA hp level which is like 115hp. Seeing as how I've been running the car with the CHRA out of it for the rebuild/upgrade, it's almost as bad a diesel. 6 seconds isn't even that fast, but I mentioned as it's still a second faster than a bone stock 9-3. This was also done with 16 psi MAX. So quicker times would be possible. Also, with no cat it ran it's fastest shifting at redline. When it had a cat, shifting around 5500 helped it as redline slowed it. Bugger off already.
I think it's the second time you've told me you've unblocked me to see how I was doing. I find that even more flattering ;ol;

The earlier it spools the quicker it's above 'NA' as you put it. What does it matter if you're hitting full boost at 1800 or 2800 if you're not using full boost until after both of those rpm?

So what? I have a video on a crashed hard drive somewhere of my speedometer getting to 60 in around that amount of time too on stock turbo but the fact of the matter is it's not going to get much faster than that because there just isn't any power up top. Yes maybe all those little things you mention help but you'll soon realize that after all that work you're a tenth faster when instead of busting the balls of your poor T25 you could upgrade to a more sensible turbo and go even faster. Feel free to keep doing your little tests, though if you're really stuck on that.

I did remember the 1800rpm, actually. Just rounded up to help you out since having full boost in a FWD car at 10mph is utterly useless. Sorry I added 200rpm to your spool time, didn't mean to offend you ;oops:. Believe me when I say I've collected a lot more data than you on the matter of acceleration in terms of fuel, timing, boost onset, PID tables and whatever else I have available to me in T5suite. I've played with them all and I know what makes a car faster and what slows it down, to the hundreth of a second logged correctly and consistently through the actual speed reading. You say all 16 of your psi are available WOT at 1800rpm but guess what - you're not WOT at 1800rpm, 2000rpm, 2200rpm.... etc. in first gear. And then after first gear you're in second. Are you back down below 2000rpm when you shift to second? No. To third? No. You can spool at 1500rpm if you want but what is the point?

I said before that I only go to the dragstrip for fun and it's true. I went a couple times on my stock turbo with a best time of 14.5 at 100. Since I bought the car in 2006 it's had a crunchy transmission that only got worse over time so I'm lucky I even managed the 14.5. Went back to the dragstrip again after the new setup and couldn't even get it into 2nd or 3rd unless I waited for the rpm to drop down to 2k. Yep, I ran worse times than with the stock turbo. The last run of the night was a 14.8 at 107, which I made by literally slamming it into gear as soon as it would let me. Did my car become effectively slower after the upgrade? Sure did, but it wasn't because of the turbo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts