SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion/experience, what is the best summer tire for a 9-3 with 320-340hp @ the crank? Even a stock 2.8T?

Daily driver capabilities but still phenomenal performance to drive hard/autocross, just not a slick or drag radial.

Also, any1 have experience with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs?

Also Nitto 555s?

ANY input would be great, just needing ideas. By the way I'm looking for tires that would be 235/40R18's with a 150+ speed rating.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
If your gonna push that much power I would look for two different sets of tires/wheels.

One for race days, one for daily driving.
Reason for this being is because high grip summer tires are very expensive, and dont last nearly as long as commuter tires. Your gonna eat your $180 a piece tires up in 10k miles and be pissed lol.

I would think about that before diving into something

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to find a happy medium.

I won't necessarily be taking the car to the track often if at all, but when I'm screwing around pushing the car on my own good time I want a hell of a tire as well. I will of course have a winter set as well but that's already settled and separate.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm hopefully going with these:

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
good choice ^^^, i've always been a michelin ps2 guy as well but there pricey

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Real quick:

anyone have experience or opinion on any of the following:

Falken FK452?

Nitto 555?

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec?

Continental ExtremeContact DW (new tire)?

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110?

I've heard that Saabs are picky about their tires and I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these before.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
HTRZ III absolutely !!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I already have Hankook K104 on my 626 and damn those tire was sick!!! but last me 2 summer and I didnt made any burnout!!

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I'm planing on going with 255/4017HTRZ IIIs next time, up from the 235/45/17 HTRZ IIIs, which is why I bought the wider & lighter alloys for my Aero. HTRZ IIIs ROCK, even good in rain, and great for spirited driving, tons of grip, very reponsive turn in, way less torque steer, rock solid at triple digit speeds !! Would've had them on my Porsche Turbos if they were available back then, awesome tires !!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm planing on going with 255/4017HTRZ IIIs next time, up from the 235/45/17 HTRZ IIIs, which is why I bought the wider & lighter alloys for my Aero. HTRZ IIIs ROCK, even good in rain, and great for spirited driving, tons of grip, very reponsive turn in, way less torque steer, rock solid at triple digit speeds !! Would've had them on my Porsche Turbos if they were available back then, awesome tires !!

what rims did you get?

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Voxx MGs:

THe HTRZ IIIs !!! Great tires.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the tires I'm looking for yes I will be.

and I heard that the Sumitomo's wear very fast and don't hold well off the line, hence why I counted them out. However also heard alot of Saab enthusiasts say they are great. How was your treadwear?

I was originally steering away from the Conti DW's because of just how much I hated the OEM ContiProContacts but the thing is I'm pretty sure those are just crap tires and I shouldn't judge all of Continentals correct? The DW's are looking better to me every day.

and I've heard both good and horrible things about the hankooks, "amazing for price" and "not consumer friendly, problematic and overrated" but they would be perfect because not only do they look great but they are a great price and very comparable to Nitto 555s and supposed to be a way to "1-up" Khumo Excsta SPTs

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
My advice to you would be to go on tirerack and look at the reviews they have. I don't really read the user reviews much. My favorite tire without costing an arm and leg is the Toyo Proxes 4. If you want something with a little more performance go for the T1R, they won't last as long, but you won't have any problem with grip.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a friend that have proxess4 and was satisfied..
hankook k104 is my best tire i had.. i try the HRII and its was not so bad but doesnt grip like the k104.. but they last longuer..

You have to made a choice...
a lot of grip = soft gum = bad thread wear...
good thread wear = harder gum = dont have a good grip

like an other said.. if you take your car for drag or lapping, buy a set of tire for this and use ''normal'' tire for everyday.. or try to find something as a compromise..

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I don't drag race much, I like a great handling tire. Treadwear is very good actually, If they last a couple of years I'll be very happy, I don't mind trading tread life for great handling, don't mind a bit :cheesy:

·
Registered
691 Posts
depend how is your driving and milleage you make.. i will say you will be good for 2 summer, maybe 3 or will need to change during the 3rd summer

Good buy!!:cheesy:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts