SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People say that the 9-5 is old and not so good after all these years but one special thing they are still the best. the sound system..The harman kardon system in 9-5 is problaby the best soundsystem you can get in a car :D:D:D

·
Registered
116 Posts
You need to listen to the new Acura TL's standard soundsystem... very very nice. At least it sounded awesome when I testdrove it... got the 9-5 instead. :D But the sound system in the TL did have me questionung... ;)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
At least I'm with you Superlirarn, it's awesome. :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
The open air filter sounds pretty cool too :cool:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The sound system's pretty good. It could handle high volume without distortion so that's always a plus. Not to forget the nice subwoofer that comes with the hk system. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Kermit said:
Think that medal has to go to Volvo for the XC90's 17 speaker Dolby surround sound system.
Hmmm my wife has been drooling over that... I'm gun shy given all the problems we've had on our 98 V70... a testdrive can't hurt I suppose. :confused:

On a side note... the XC90 made Forbes list of 14 most unreliable luxury vehicles... as did the 04 9-3 which I was suprised about). The 9-5 was not on the list. :)

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
aero1116 said:
The sound system's pretty good. It could handle high volume without distortion so that's always a plus. Not to forget the nice subwoofer that comes with the hk system. Good enough for me.
Ahem... SUBWOOFERS...

There's two of 'em :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
I never really appreciated the HK in my 9-5 until last week on vacation. We went to see batman in a drive in theater. 1/2 way thru the movie I had to turn down the stereo...It was like the bass was a hammer on my heart and my chest started hurting.

Its weird tho, b/c I never really noticed the bass as anything special until then. I have since realized its b/c it is so tight, and I am used to sloppy bass. When you have the stereo turned up for more then 45 min you really start to feel it wear on you :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Kermit said:
Think that medal has to go to Volvo for the XC90's 17 speaker Dolby surround sound system.

I don't really like stuff like this. You can't get past STEREO being right and left. Thats it, just two channels. Weather you're listening to the radio, or a cd, or MP3. All you're ever going to get is stereo.

These cars with "surround sound" (9-5 included)

have digital signal processors that take the right and left stereo signal and process it into various components and ranges and send those signals to certain speakers. The effect is not too terribly impressive, to me. But I'm a bit of an audiophile.

I'd rather have solid amps, speakers and subs and have only RIGHT and LEFT...and set it all up my self. anyone else like this?

Until recivers for cars accomodate DTS or Dolby 5.1 and music starts becoming avalible in these true surround sound formats....I don't want "surround sound" 17 speakers or otherwise.

hrmph
<steps down from soap box>

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with you s900.

I also wouldn't really call the "subs" in the rear shelf actual subs, they're more like low pitch speakers. I used to have a system in my Jetta, and my sub was a kicker soloberic, it has tight, deep bass. The subs in the 9-5 do a great job for a factory stereo, don't get me wrong. I am just missing the deep part of the bass.
Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm not sure what size sub the wagons have but I love how mine sounds. On the downside though, My passenger front door speaker is going, will need to shop for a comparable replacement soon.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
ed1le said:
I'm not sure what size sub the wagons have but I love how mine sounds. On the downside though, My passenger front door speaker is going, will need to shop for a comparable replacement soon.
Likewise, my speaker at the center of my dashboard is going and making terrible vibrating noises. I wonder where I might find a drop in replacement that isnt too expensive...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Drove into work this morning - "Won't get fooled again" The Who ;oops: with the stereo turned up higher than I've ever had it - no distortion, apart from other drivers faces at the traffic lights :cheesy: :cheesy:

The whole system (original) seems to be well balanced. Only ever had "stock" stereo's, and this one is by far the best.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Hey Mac, don't get embaressed by playing The Who..especially Won't Get Fooled Again its a classic. Now Boris The Spider is a different matter. ;oops:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
mac_the_dog said:
Drove into work this morning - "Won't get fooled again" The Who ;oops: with the stereo turned up higher than I've ever had it - no distortion, apart from other drivers faces at the traffic lights :cheesy: :cheesy:

The whole system (original) seems to be well balanced. Only ever had "stock" stereo's, and this one is by far the best.
So Im not the only one then?:cheesy: Im always blasting this one out (and Neat,Neat,Neat & New Rose - Damned);)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Heh,heh you'll get me going....Undertones,Buzz****s,Vapors(I was surprised how heavy the bassline is on "Turning Japanese"(my 8 yr olds favorite song at the mo':eek: ) on my system, and I havent even got a sub, been playing Judas Priest and A bit of Thin Lizzy as well.

Dont finish a night shift, walk around London all day and then sit in the front row at the Hammersmith to see Judas Priest ....sparko - fast asleep youll look a right tw*t ( as I found out;oops: ....)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts