SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radiator cracked by the top hose inlet.

Surfing E bay and the net I see some choices including billet aluminum!

Any experience with the various offerings?

Jeff

·
Registered
390 Posts
Some thoughts

Below is from another forum member's experience with the all aluminum one on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250967732145#ht_1645wt_1165

A little while ago I asked the board about an all-aluminum radiator. Responses were mixed, but for the price ($220ish), I thought "why the hell not?"

Turns out I was right.
Dual-core radiator and aluminum tanks keeps the engine wonderfully cool during these dreadfully hot Chicago days, even at idle in traffic in the sun. Installation was close to an exact fit, but the screw holes are all machine threads versus the effectively drywall OE screws. Fortunately I had a litany of small screws to fit the job. Very pleased with the purchase, and, much to my surprise, all joints are indeed TIG welded and leak-free. For nearly half the price of OE Blackstone, I think this is a fine substitute. Hell, even if prices were comparable, I think this would have been the better option.

Great deal from a somwhat risky ebay manufacturer in China.

e

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Billet? Means machined from solid. Not possible. The matrix at least is sheet aluminum.

The standard radiator lasts a long time. It is not possible for a different radiator to keep the engine cooler, nor is it desirable. The engine temp is controlled by the thermostat (minimum) and the cooling fan thermoswitch (maximum). The cooling system is designed to keep the engine from overheating in all ambient temperatures and operating conditions.

Having said that, if the price is competitive and you continue to maintain the coolant by flushing and replacing the coolant every 2-3 years then an all aluminum radiator should last indefinitely. Bear in mind that the stock radiators last over ten years in normal service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts