SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to source a second key for my 99 and Eeuro said they don't offer it anymore. I have a mechanic with a tech 2 that can add it for me so where can I get a key or best strategy for it these days ?

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
If you want the original style key with the separate and huge "banana" fob, you're out of luck, but you can order the newer style key with the remote that fits into the key head. Eeuroparts or eSaabparts can order you the newer style key with your VIN. You'll just need to find a suitable remote module, which you can buy new or used. You may also need to get the battery cover separately.

·
Registered
18,042 Posts
Esaab... Matt will help you. He will also take care of you when/if it doesn't work.

You CAN get transponder keys (the horizontal split type, not the vertical)... you just can't get the transponder head. You have to order the key for the early 9-5: It's the same. I can probably find the part # if you need it. I don't know about the banana remote but chances are you don't want to buy one new. If you can find one used it can be programmed... but you'll still want a transponder key to go with it.

If you need a transponder head, I think I still have one I will part with. Need to check. I definitely have some All-in-1 guts you can buy if you go the ALL-In-1 route.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Any reason NOT to use this guy Remote Head Key For Saab 9.3 9-3 9.5 9-5 OEM Factory Electronics Fob Transmitter | eBay on ebay ?
This way I won't have to deal with having to find the guts of a remote for a key. I found a few locksmith that say they can do the whole thing for around $200($285 at local Saab dealership) for a remote key but if the ebay key works I 'm thinking I can get one down for about $75-100 total. Order key, have locksmith cut the blade then have a local shop with tech 2 add the key. Am I missing anything here ?
I currently only have one key WITHOUT remote head and NO banana remote.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I would not trust eBay or Amazon key to work properly. I'd buy from the source, or get OE used electronics and a new key blank.

·
Registered
10,010 Posts
I agree with Jvanabra. Go with a used OEM remote and a new key blank. I had an awful experience trying to get a new key cut for my 2000 9-5 recently. Ordering one cut to the VIN didn't work, so I bought an aftermarket blank off of eBay and set off to find a locksmith that would cut it. I must have tried a half dozen, and no one was able to cut the key except for a former Saab dealer that still had their key cutting machine. They very rudely refused to use my blank, since they claimed it would jam up their machine. Not long after that, their machine broke and they decided not to fix it. Another former local Saab dealer found someone else that would cut keys, and used me as their guinea pig. I paid nearly $100 between the blank and the key cutting service, but it worked, and I now have a second key. I still don't know why cutting it to the VIN didn't work. There's no evidence that the locks were ever replaced.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Could be just wear. Local locksmith that does laser cut keys always prefers to copy a key rather than cut new.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
If that eBay source sends an actual working module and a key blank, you're doing fine. I don't know what "remanufactured" means.

Most of the modules work, but some don't.

·
Registered
18,042 Posts
I'll selll you ALL-In-1 guts for $25 if you want. If you're going to try the transponder route, LMK and I will see if I still have any. I saved some for me... but I have a reduced inventory now so I am selling stuff.

I've had mixed luck with VIN cut. One fit the doors but not ignition, the other vise versa. No visible differences between those and the one that fit everything (worn). The dealer cut me his very last transponder key on their machine when Saab went out... and it was marginal. WOrked, but you had to pull it up 1/32" to make it turn the ignition. Meh.

If I had more time, at the time, I would have pulled the ignition and then just dispensed with whatever wafer was the problem for all of the issues. With a transponder head, the key itself needs to work the door, but the ignition is of limited value. One wafer doesn't matter after all: we have push button start cars at this point... no key needed.

You do want the key to work the door or a tailgate... just in case there are vehicle or remote battery issues when on the road.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a local locksmith that says he can do a remote key for $120 total so I am going to give him a shot. If it doesn't work it'll just cost me a little bit of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts