SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a VERY low-mile 99 9-5 that was donated to our ministry and we want to get it in the hands of a SAAB faithful rather than move it as just a cheap low-mile car... We also want to use this car to put $ back into our ministry as donations are the life-blood of our operation.

We want to move this soon, but also want to do our due-dilligence to get it in the hands of the right person.

Suggestions welcomed!

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
There are the classifieds here. That will draw only Saab people, for sure.

You could try bringatrailer.com, but they are selective about what they will auction. Contrary to what their name seems to suggest, that site tends to have upscale cars or cars of interest... not old wrecks that need a trailer to be moved.

I don't think anyone but a Saaber would bid on a Saab of recent vintage like yours at this point. It's not old enough to be of interest to collectors and it's not considered sporty or luxury enough to interest people looking for a fun ride. That leaves you mostly with people like us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99 9-5

Thanks, I assumed this was the place to be and understand where this car fits... Trying to engage a few folks here while getting enough posts to share a classified

·
Super Moderator
19,206 Posts
Craigslist is your best bet. A 99 9-5 from the rustbelt isn't exactly desirable, especially if it's an automatic. You will be limited to pretty much Indy/Chicago for buyers. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99 9-5

Thanks for the thought, but this thing is more rust-free than an Arizona car... If I was looking for one of these, I wouldn't overlook this one. An ad on C-list or an auto-auction for this thing would make me sad, but may have to?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for the thought, but this thing is more rust-free than an Arizona car... If I was looking for one of these, I wouldn't overlook this one. An ad on C-list or an auto-auction for this thing would make me sad, but may have to?
Since you are looking to get enough posts to do an ad here, which is a good idea, I'll add my .02$ - to me a 1999 9-5 is perfect CL fodder. Even a low mile rust free example of that car is just not very interesting. As you say, if you were looking for one, its a good one...but not sure many are looking for one. But it sure is a good first car for the kid of a SAABista....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
99 9-5

Thanks for the input, I have a few good pics here also http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=5969

I totally agree with what this car would be good for (and who) already getting it out to a few other places as well. I have video of the smooth idle after the timing belt job as well. The noise from the failing tensioner is what caused the last owner to donate and avoid repair cost.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
It would be helpful if you make a list of everything that works, assuming that it actually does. Here's a list of things that would be good if they worked:

• Seat heat, both front seats (and back seat if equipped)
  • Headlight wipers/washers
  • All bulbs in dash (including seat heater switches [2 bulbs!] and lighter socket
  • No warning lights in dash; if you can get a Tech II, scan the entire car for fault codes
  • Tires: wearing evenly? (bad bushings lead to funny tire wear)
  • Brake rotors: should show pads are working fine; pads should be equal wear both sides
  • You can floor the car from a stop to highway speed, and no check engine/trans lights appear (no turbo gauge to judge how the system thinks it's performing)
  • No cracked/broken leather in seats, no peeling/yucky SID/radio buttons
  • Stereo plays at high volume without rattling or distorting
  • All windows go up and down, both power door mirrors adjust, sunroof opens and closes okay, etc
If the car passes all of these tests, then it's better than the average used 9-5!

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Have found nothing that doesn't work.
But that's a little different from "I have tested X and it works properly". There are known things that go wrong with these cars, and someone who hasn't owned one of them may miss checking on a function. Since it's not super-special (Aero/manual trans/blah blah) being able to check off that everything works properly is a good thing. It indicates a high level of care.

For example, when I see someone selling a car with the headlight wipers sitting at an odd angle in the pictures, I wonder why. If they didn't know, or didn't care, about the headlight wiper operation, what else didn't they care about?

I would add the HVAC system, both the automatic climate control as well as the A/C function (may be hard to test in winter weather :cool:).

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
74K is low, but not extraordinary. It's also not a southern car, so it's going to have some underbody uncleanliness. Not really a bringatrailer.com car.

I'd lean towards CL too, since you can control the selling price vs. an auction - although there's always the reserve feature for auctions. An Ebay auction would get you national exposure... which might boost your visibility to more Saab buyers. If you've never used Ebay, find someone who knows the ins and outs before listing.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Saabnet classifieds is another good place to post up. It's intended for Saab enthusiasts who are looking for all kinds & conditions of cars.

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/9-5.html

For eBay, I would set up a Buy It Now type ad with Best Offer if possible. That way you're not stuck paying for a reserve and have 30 days of exposure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.