SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have been sick of not having much music in the car due to a lack of CD changer. I have decided to not go that route and get an aftermarket head unit. My questions are to you, which head units look most stock, maybe we can compile a list for others to use as well.

Pictures, price, and where to find them would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I'll nominate the Nakamichi CD400 and the Harman-Kardon/Becker TrafficPro, or any Becker radio for you guys in Europe, since it's just a Becker Mexico with GPS features. The Nakamichi sells for around $400 on eBay, and the TrafficPro, if you can still find one, is about $500 these days.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
or any Becker radio for you guys in Europe, since it's just a Becker Mexico with GPS features.
We're well aware of Becker hereabouts, I thought they'd pulled from the US market though, good to see that this is perhaps not the case.

·
Registered
114 Posts
is an adapter needed for install of an aftermarket cd head unit? and where do you get the blanking bit for the gap? in UK!

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
The cables and adapter kit are available from any UK Saab dealer since base models were fitted with a standard DIN size radio from the factory. It's us poor Americans that have a harder time getting a hold of those parts! :cheesy:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
The cables and adapter kit are available from any UK Saab dealer since base models were fitted with a standard DIN size radio from the factory. It's us poor Americans that have a harder time getting a hold of those parts! :cheesy:
partsforsaabs are carrying the necessary stuff...

lttle tray

harness adaptors

·
Registered
436 Posts
Here is a picture of my Clarion Headunit. Its a 2004 model. What i like most is the anility to match the displaycolour exactly to the one of the Saab. I also like that i can still use my steering wheel remote.

Sound is also very good, but i'm not using the headunit amplifiers as i have got two amplifiers installed in the back.
There are also some new Becker Headunits available, which support MP3 like the Monza. They look also very good.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
yup thats the one that i have also, i wanted the colors to match aswell, i am very happy with the way it looks so no need for me to post pics now:D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Now that looks fantastic

BLÜE 9-3se said:
These are from Crutchfield. A friend has a similar unit from Pioneer. They also make one to fit the double-DIN slot that we have that mounts flush to the dash. VERY slick.
Crutchfield ?

im in the uk , where oh where can get one of those ?????

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are there any headunits that fill the whole space underneath the sid? I'm looking for an alternative for my 01 Viggen.

Would I have to replace the amp, and speakers as well?

I'm not really into audio, but i hear it can get a lot better :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Now I know some may think the "Night Panel" is rather lame but I like to use it on long drives. I was wondering if any of these head units respond to the Night Panel mode by turning off their display or if they have a manual dimmer mode which I could turn all the way off.

The less lights inside the better for me ;)

Paul

·
Registered
436 Posts
TurboTempo said:
Crutchfield ?

im in the uk , where oh where can get one of those ?????
Crutchfield is just the reseller.

it's a Kenwood Headunit. So probably you can get it everywhere where they sell Kenwood.

Its the DDX7025, which is also available in the UK.

·
Registered
436 Posts
pfblack said:
Now I know some may think the "Night Panel" is rather lame but I like to use it on long drives. I was wondering if any of these head units respond to the Night Panel mode by turning off their display or if they have a manual dimmer mode which I could turn all the way off.

The less lights inside the better for me ;)

Paul
My Clarion one (see picture above) has a build in dim feature which turns down the display brightness in five selctable steps, when it gets dark in the car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts