SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
simple question, what would you guys recommend for gear oil. From time to time i hear chatter of a excellent Honda gear oil...anyone know what im talking about...? :cheesy:

thanks in advance
-wyeth

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I'll get this now, before the crowds turn up with the baying hounds and flaming torches...

The stuff you're thinking is Honda MTF, which is said to be very good. Do a search, and then we need never mention this subject again :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Jezzadee said:
I'll get this now, before the crowds turn up with the baying hounds and flaming torches...

The stuff you're thinking is Honda MTF, which is said to be very good. Do a search, and then we need never mention this subject again :)
Yeah............ "oils to use" has always been a touchy subject.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rhich said:
"oils to use" has always been a touchy subject.

lol, its like the religion of cars ;) thanks guys

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tomoose said:
I switched my gearbox over to Honda MTF in December, great stuff, much smoother transitions.

-Tom
So All this talk about Honda MTF makes me curious what exactly the oil weight is....i read in the manual that 10-W30 in the tranny is best...thats def what i have in mine, im looking to convert soon cause mine has a rough shift into 1st and 2nd once and a great while ive had a grind.....to me if feels like there is not enough protection with thin 10-30...i run 75-W90 in my Volks Fox (castrol syntec) and its excellent.

·
Registered
573 Posts
i use castrol MTF 80w-90. shifts abit hard in the morning.. but when temps increase it feels fine. i guess using thicker oil increase protection

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The c900 shouldn't have full syn. oil, should it? I have heard that eat the syncros??? Or is that the mineral-one?
Daniel.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Is the Honda MTF also a mineral one? So I was right in saying you shouldn't run with fully sync.-oil?
Daniel.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Its fully synthetic engine oil that shouldn't be used in the transmission of a c900.

Fully synthetic gearbox oils don't pose a problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had mtl in my trany and the friggen thing blew up. I run mobil 1 syn in there for the past 2 1/2 years, trany is a 92 rebuilt. i love it smooth shifting everytime not a problem.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Honda MTF is a NON Synthetic.. Seems Synths are problematic in Honda boxes.. Redline in particular has ..Proven.. to dissolve the Plastc Bearing Cages in the NTN brand Bearings Honda Uses.. with serious :) result.
The Spec for Trans oil inna Honda is/was 10/30w.

·
Registered
43 Posts
GL4 or GL5?

I've put 2.5 litres of Honda mtf and 1/2 litre of some heavy duty synthetic GL5 rate gear oil in. As I understood it the big difference in gear oils is that GL4 spec has no additives while GL5 does. These additives are supposed to keep things cleaner but, also react with copper so GL5 shouldn't be used in a box with copper in the bearings or bushes.

I believe there is no copper in the Saab gear box, if there is mine's in trouble. :eek:

·
Registered
883 Posts
"I believe there is no copper in the Saab gear box" - are not the syncro rings bronze or some brass alloy - both these metals contain copper.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts