SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
waht is the best exhasut for the money, i want something loud, throaty, and has a cackle and back firing on down shifting, but most of all, NOT RICERISH

·
Registered
3,597 Posts

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I'm very happy with my 2.5 CTI cat back. It is very well made, has a good sound and set me back less than $500.00.

Willie took care of business and came through with the product when others who ship their systems from Sweden couldn't.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bmxfratboy said:
i want something loud, throaty, and has a cackle and back firing on down shifting
And........

bmxfratboy said:
but most of all, NOT RICERISH

Hmmmmmmmmmmm :confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts
i think a serious discussion needs to take place on the pros and cons of different systems, size, type of materials used, performance/mpg/other impacts. basically, all the factors that would go into buying an entire exhaust system. ive had many questions about this and i think others do as well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nick's blog has an interesting post on TrollTuner about exhaust size v. backpressure (http://www.trolltuner.com/archives/2006/02/):

February 9, 2006

Exhausting Tests

Since I am not one to just listen to the mainstream and I always wondered about the need of 3" exhaust on our 4 cyl engines I decided to do a little scientific research. The main measure of exhaust system effectiveness is Back-pressure. Too much back-pressure hurts turbine efficiency and affects the power output and Knock sensitivity. Noise is also a factor but not my main concern. Read on to find my suprising results...

My test setup was on my stage 4+ Viggen. I used a Fluke digital pressure gauge and my Fluke meter to record maximum pressure readings on the same test loop driven at full throttle both at peak toque and horsepower. I started backwards and tested the already installed JT3" complete system with JT racecat and 1 muffler. The maximum readings were very high in front of the cat 21.3psi or 1.5bar Way too high! Next to locate the restriction I moved the pressure pickup to behind the catalyst. The problem was immediately apparent, peak readings of 4.4psi or 0.3 bar. Now to find out why. First step to take the system off the car. Even off the car you cannot look in and see the catalyst core so I had to cut it apart. Here are a couple images.

Expecting it to be visibly damage. It appears fine! I plan to cut it further to inspect. Now with no exhaust system on the car it was time to dig into my collection and get the Original Saab accessory remus catback system with straight through center pipe. After adding a few extra sensor fittings to one of my off the shelf stainless downpipes with larger metal core catalyst. The downpipe is 3 inch tubing and reduces to stock 2-3/8 (or so) to mate to the original flex pipe. Knowing the books say this is fine for my ~340 hp but "they" say I need 3inch... In the same test conditions the peak pressure before the catalyst was now only 6.9 lbs or 0.47bar I added the wideband and pressure ports but forgot the pressure port after the cat.. The sound is nicer too.

This system stays on the car for now. The difference in the power and drivability is huge! So this is the extent for now. Off to the Dyno tomorrow. My plan is to collect more data from stock exhaust and a few other combinations as time permits. Hope this is as interesting to you as it is to me.
and Part Deux:

Backpressure Pt2

So comparing after cat pressures at the same power output it starts to get interesting... With the 3" JT we had 4.4 psi max after the cat. With the Remus 3.2 psi max. This one is 60mm or almost 2-3/8" Both of these are the same configuration. One muffler in the rear. Straight through center pipe and a flex after the downpipe. The sound is so much nicer with the Remus. I still have to find time to test a factory exhaust with and without middle muffler and with and without the downpipe.

I have been double checking all this data just to be sure and get very repeatable results. Not exactly sure why My old cat flowed so poorly with no visible damage to the core. After cat measurements are my main point here. Just trying to compare different size apples...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts