SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
if i were you id go with the 9-3 at those milages you dont have to worry, remember saabs go forever. i like the rims on the 9-3 also, good finds

·
Registered
713 Posts
lol at first i thought i clicked on the same link twice, there both extremly pretty cars!

·
Registered
917 Posts
My gut tells me to avoid the 900, and my gut is usually right. :)

No, but seriously, the driver's seat and steering wheel look quite worn...much more than my car and mine has nearly 3x the miles. I'm guessing that it was used strictly in the city, which means plenty of wear and tear on that engine.

The 9-3 looks better, anyways. ;)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i really dont like the wood trim interior of the 9-3. at what mileage should i start looking at the timing belt? how are the sludge issues? do they even happen on 9-3's? I really wanna get one of these cars.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Bbmin7(b5) said:
i really dont like the wood trim interior of the 9-3. at what mileage should i start looking at the timing belt? how are the sludge issues? do they even happen on 9-3's? I really wanna get one of these cars.
The 1999 9³ will give you the best of both worlds. You get the suspension improvements of the 9³ with the tuning ease of the T5 ECU. Suspension upgrades are much easier with the 9³ and suspension upgrade parts are more readily available. The 9³ also has the spoiler which is nice and the SE kit adds a nicer Climate control system, steering wheel controls for the stereo, heated seats and leather. The 1999 9³ didn't have the sludge issues of the 2000-2002 T7 9³.

As far as timing belt. The 9³ is a turbo 2.0L and has no timing belt. It uses a timing chain and should be fine for the life of the engine. The wood grain can be swapped with kits on ebay in many colors as well.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frank_Drebin said:
The 1999 9³ will give you the best of both worlds. You get the suspension improvements of the 9³ with the tuning ease of the T5 ECU. Suspension upgrades are much easier with the 9³ and suspension upgrade parts are more readily available. The 9³ also has the spoiler which is nice and the SE kit adds a nicer Climate control system, steering wheel controls for the stereo, heated seats and leather. The 1999 9³ didn't have the sludge issues of the 2000-2002 T7 9³.

As far as timing belt. The 9³ is a turbo 2.0L and has no timing belt. It uses a timing chain and should be fine for the life of the engine. The wood grain can be swapped with kits on ebay in many colors as well.
you sir have convinced me to go for the 9-3 i just need to get a loan and im golden.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts