SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have experience with good vs. bad clutch cables?

I've tried a Pioneer manually adjusting and a ProParts Sweden auto-adjust cable. Neither worked in my 1995 Saab ng900s

The Pioneer kinked in two places within an hour of installing.
The ProParts, I could push the adjustment barrel in and out with my hands. Needless to say, I just heard clicks as the pedal went to the floor with this cable.

Other options:

Febi Bilstein makes a manual adjust
Skandix - auto adjust
Balkamp from Napa - manual adjust
DIY Solutions - auto adjust
ebay has what looks like a Saab OEM auto-adjust as well.

I've read in the forums that a few people have had luck with the Napa part, but feedback isn't super consistent. Let me know if you have experience with these. I would just like to buy a cable, put it in, and have it last for a few years...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the case anyone is curious. I disassembled my broken OEM cable and the non-functional new Pro Parts cable, which allowed the cable housing to pass freely through the stop at the firewall. I've included pics of both.
Notable difference in the plastic bits that are supposed to grab the housing, and a bigger difference in the 'spring' mechanism that's supposed to push the plastic bit into the cable housing, so that it doesn't move. The ProParts uses a flimsy o-ring, and the OEM uses a metal spring. It could be that the conical exterior that slides over the 'plastic bit' I refer to above is supposed to help squeeze the 'plastic bit' into the cable (putting less emphasis on the need for a strong o-ring/spring).
80.jpg 81.jpg 82.jpg

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I would go inspect the Balkamp parts. More than likely it's someone else's cable in a Napa box, and you get the convenience of local pickup and returns.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Balkamp (Napa) and Pioneer (Autozone) cables I have are different lengths. Both are manual adjust cables. I think the Balkamp is closer to the correct length than the Pioneer. Neither have an external spring to help maintain their form under strain. The one that kinked in two places earlier was manual adjust but had an exposed metal spring and metal housing. I suspect the two without the springs will perform better. Their housings look like polymer encapsulated metal coils.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I would look around for a genuine OEM Saab clutch cable. Even a used one, if there is no evidence of frayed or broken strands should be fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep - that's what i've done. Found a used OEM cable in good shape out of a parts car. it is working well. I'll keep one of the aftermarket cables for backup - probably the NAPA cable.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
One tip, make sure that there is a rubber grommet or guide at each end. My OEM cable snapped at the clutch end. The grommet wasn't there, and I think it was missing and the friction against the metal cable stop may have been what did in the cable.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
In May of 2019 I was 10 miles from the marina on Lake Erie and my Saab self-adjusting cable broke at the transmission lever. So, I drove without the clutch, starting the engine in first gear and rev-matching to shift gears. I had a spare NAPA manually adjustable in the boot and installed it. I bought a replacement Saab OEM cable, and it's in the boot as a spare until the NAPA cable fails. I should note that the NAPA was previously used in the car and didn't feel right. But, over the last year it has been flawless. What was the difference, I don't know... Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts