SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey SaabFans!
It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm glad to be back =)

Here's my question,
I've been doing some research and I've come to a dead end regarding the best all-season high performance tires for the Saab Aero (v6).

Can you guys/gals chime in with your favorite all-season high performance tires? (Sorry, the stock continentals are crap :evil: )

My driving habits -
  • Occasional autocross
  • Love the sweeping turns (don't worry - I don't drive these fast corners in traffic or neighborhoods - hence the need for AutoX)
  • Fast all-around rain/dry/light light snow dust driving.
  • Will hopefully be getting the PPC upgrade for giftmas :cheesy:
Thanks!
-me.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

I don't know if these are "best", but they are darned good. W-rated in the 9-3's size.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Asking which all-season is the best like asking which TV show is the best. Everyone has a different opinion, but when you get right down to it, they all suck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is confusing, but tire rack does some pretty decent testing and comparisons amongst the top sellers.
I have used Pirelli P zeros and they work well in the snow and definitely above the Kuhmho's but at what price.
Currently have Kumho ASX's, they are alright but have some road noise, but the price is right.
Have fun shopping

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=20

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=87

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=88

You can see they don't really like the Continetals much either.
BWB

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
sbl said:

I don't know if these are "best", but they are darned good. W-rated in the 9-3's size.
I strongly agree with this statement.

BTW, in TX you shouldn't need an all-season tire, only a rain tire. You would be much better with that. I have a friend in San Antonio and convinced him 5 or 6 years ago to go not use an AS but a rain tire--he's still thanking me today!

And btw you're correct as those Conti's are pretty bad.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree with SBL. I just got some re960as last week and they are awesome. My car came with the Mich's and they were ok for a family car, but slipped a lot. Then I got the bridgestone G009's and they stuck, but had a soft side wall. Now the re960as is the only tire for me. Nice stiff sidewall, stick to the road even when wet. The car feels more planted, don't know how, but it does. Maybe it's the stiff sidewall. Turn in response is immediate. The extra little bit of money is worth it and still lot less than Mich pole position's.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
sbl said:

Second the Motion, getting a Set today, 159 ea Mtd & Comp Balanced.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Anything is better than the Continentals or the Fuzions (Japanese) that came on my 03. The previous owner must have just needed a quick fix before the lease was up and the Fuzions were by far the loudest, worst traction tire I have ever driven on. I couldn't wait to get my snows on.
I have Michelin X-Ice for the winter and will probably be getting the Michelin pilot exalto pe2 performance tire for the summer. Might consider the Bridgestone's that everyone's chiming in on.
Either way, IMO the best set are 2. Winters & Performance. In the long run you'll spend the same on a good set of all-season twice but it all depends on your location / climate and it sounds like you don't get enough snow to worry about winter tires ! (ie. Texas!!)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
sbl said:
I'll third this. Who knows if they are the best, but yes, they are darn good. I currently have Michelin Pilot Exaltos on my 9-3 and will not be buying them again. They aren't terrible but they are far too expensive for what you get. I've got the Bridgestones on the Passat and will be putting them on the Saab next time.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
sptsdn said:
I'll third this. Who knows if they are the best, but yes, they are darn good. I currently have Michelin Pilot Exaltos on my 9-3 and will not be buying them again. They aren't terrible but they are far too expensive for what you get. I've got the Bridgestones on the Passat and will be putting them on the Saab next time.
Good to know about the Exaltos. Costco has them here in Toronto for $275+/each. I suppose that's not a deal considering the rise of the Cdn dollar! I might have to explore the Bridgestones then for sure.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I found the best price on the RE960s to be my local Firestone dealer, of all places. $139 per tire mounted and balanced. Less than TireRack/DiscountTireDirect (when shipping and mounting was added in) and less than the independent dealers in the area.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Good Deal there, I just paid 159.00 ea M&B & Tax an hour ago here in NJ. And I have to say, there's a Very Noticeable difference in the noise level compared to the Kuhmo Ecsta's I dumped. Potenza's are much quieter.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
JonV said:
Good Deal there, I just paid 159.00 ea M&B & Tax an hour ago here in NJ. And I have to say, there's a Very Noticeable difference in the noise level compared to the Kuhmo Ecsta's I dumped. Potenza's are much quieter.
Good to know, I've had Kuhmo's before and they were ok with noise level. Believe it or not, the Fuzions I had were so loud, my Michelin Winters sound like feathers falling on snow in comparison - I can hear my stereo again. I think the previous owner bought these used. They are horrible.
So, looking fwd to the Spring to get some new summer rubber.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
JonV said:
Didn't know you had the Kuhmo's JonV before the Bridgestones--that's the path I was on as well.
Also, keep in mind as ANY tire wears it becomes noisier (sp) than when new so when putting new tires on they'll almost always be quieter.
The Kuhmo's Ecsta ASX in the past were the best VALUE out there but I'm not sure anymore with the Conti Extremecontact, Sumitomo HTR+, General Exclaim UHP, Fuzion, etc. now available.
I haven't decided if I'll cheap out or go for the pricier Re 960's.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
There was plenty of tread left on those kuhmo's, I just couldn't stand them. It may be psychological, but I swear I have a better feel of the road with the new guys?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was very close to getting those BRIDGESTONES today at FIRESTONE. Two of the P6s (utter **** crap tires) had nails in them so I had to have them patched and plugged at SEARS for $38.00. I didn't want to spend $588.00 (including installation) because it's only a lease while I'll be rid of in a year.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I agree that the P6 is "utter crap". I was very happy to be rid of them. The difference in confidence with the Bridgestones was amazing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, now I'm nervous...what's so bad about Continentals?:eek: These came on my 2007 9-3 Aero, so what have others found wrong with these?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just got 4 Nokian WR's on my 9-5 and it runs excellent and ALOT better than my stock tires. But it is a bit expensive. Cost me Cad1060 from Kal tire.

Ryo

1 - 20 of 37 Posts