SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Im new to the forum but i am trying to find the best air filter for my 02 9-5 aero wagon? Im trying to get a little more sound and pull out of it. I think this is the most efficient and best "bang for buck" option.

thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
If you're looking for sound, go with the GS filter:
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=311

There won't be a performance difference, as the stock filter is not a restriction until much higher than stock power.

Not that there won't be a noticeable and nice placebo effect :D
^^THIS.

if you really want the best "bang for the buck" stay with the stocker filter. Why? because its FREE!

Far too many people think you actually get noticeable performance gains by changing a filter. This is not the case- you wont get anything except some awesome sounds :cheesy: (the whole reason i went with an open-air element myself).

stock filter will EASILY flow for 400hp and likely more, no reason to mess with intake systems unless you're REALLY going all out (performance wise).

·
Registered
359 Posts
all as going with an open element filter will do vs stock is gives u a sorta turbo sound thats about it if your looking for the best air filter itg it's what im about to be running soonish but there expensive like aroun 100 bucks or so

·
Registered
152 Posts
^^THIS.

if you really want the best "bang for the buck" stay with the stocker filter. Why? because its FREE!

Far too many people think you actually get noticeable performance gains by changing a filter. This is not the case- you wont get anything except some awesome sounds :cheesy: (the whole reason i went with an open-air element myself).

stock filter will EASILY flow for 400hp and likely more, no reason to mess with intake systems unless you're REALLY going all out (performance wise).
It'll be enough to flow enough air at 400hp level. thats correct. However, many people on ecuproject forum and myself noticed big difference in boost onset (response) and peak power from going open filter. Just FYI :)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
It'll be enough to flow enough air at 400hp level. thats correct. However, many people on ecuproject forum and myself noticed big difference in boost onset (response) and peak power from going open filter. Just FYI :)
I dynoed with both airfilters and there was no difference. But my god what a placebo effect that noise gives you! I am personally not as interested in the blowoff sound as much as the gargle the engine makes :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
However, many people on ecuproject forum and myself noticed big difference in boost onset (response) and peak power from going open filter. Just FYI :)
How was this measured?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone

I'm wondering, however, if a KN is the way to go. Is that the best open filter available? Also is there anything else that I could use to suck a little more power from the car? I'm pretty saavy but the T7 suite tuning scares me.

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just put a K&N open air filter on my 06 9-5 and I'll say the sound is a huge improvement, also I noticed when I get on it the turbo gauge goes into the red now when before it would just get to the line.

Now, I did have a dirty stock filter (1 yr w/o cleaning) but I can notice a huge difference in response and pickup speeds, not only that the engine sounds soo beautiful as well ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Thanks everyone

I'm wondering, however, if a KN is the way to go. Is that the best open filter available? Also is there anything else that I could use to suck a little more power from the car? I'm pretty saavy but the T7 suite tuning scares me.

Thanks

the t7 scares me to O-o lol no k&N isnt the best filter some people have issues with k&n due to the fact that there really oily. personally i run an itg open air filter as stated in my last post its what the f1 and rally cars use its a dry air filter with a 99% filteration rate and a 100% flow rate. but it is also 129$ for the filter.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
just remember- there is NO performance increase in going with an open filter at stock power levels. as i said before flow is not an issue unless dealing with a lot of airmass. turbo spool is much more greatly affected by a less restrictive exhaust, and the influence that an open element has over the snorkel and box is only marginal, if that.

this is a little 2.3 4 cyl, not a 7.0 litre big block. K&N has brainwashed people into thinking that you actually get HP out of putting their filter on. I wouldn't be surprised seeing something on a huge, stock-restricted v8, but no 4 cyl really NEEDS one.

i am not saying these filters are worthless, IMO its WELL WORTH the money you pay for the beautiful sound it produces :cheesy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just remember- there is NO performance increase in going with an open filter at stock power levels. as i said before flow is not an issue unless dealing with a lot of airmass. turbo spool is much more greatly affected by a less restrictive exhaust, and the influence that an open element has over the snorkel and box is only marginal, if that.

this is a little 2.3 4 cyl, not a 7.0 litre big block. K&N has brainwashed people into thinking that you actually get HP out of putting their filter on. I wouldn't be surprised seeing something on a huge, stock-restricted v8, but no 4 cyl really NEEDS one.

i am not saying these filters are worthless, IMO its WELL WORTH the money you pay for the beautiful sound it produces :cheesy:
I ran across this whilst trying to determine benefits for the open air filter. It is an air inlet which may provide the same thing Im looking for (sound). and potentially allow more air into the stock box. Can anyone tell me the difference as far as this and the open air?

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=368

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

What about a new air inlet? Would that have the same effect without having to mess with the stock box? I have been looking at this one
http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_53&products_id=368

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been pondering this same question actually. I'm having a hard time deciding on going open air or just getting a filter and the bigger snorkel.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'd go for the larger Saab intake and a stock paper filter as was suggested to me by Jak Stoll. And I have stage 3. Many Saab builders have varying opinions but I take Jak Stoll's words to heart -- paper filters only.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd go for the larger Saab intake and a stock paper filter as was suggested to me by Jak Stoll. And I have stage 3. Many Saab builders have varying opinions but I take Jak Stoll's words to heart -- paper filters only.
That's what I was thinking too. What sort of paper filter did you end up with?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts