SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I saw that other thread about the aftermarket warranty issue, I decided to reconsider the place I was planning on getting mine from. My dealer offers Great Lakes Warranties, the BBB gives them a B- grade, which actually doesn't seem that bad, but then I see online complaints as recent as january saying they've been waiting months for payment.

Anyone have a good experience they could share or should we all just be banking our $1,000 for the 3-year warranties?

-jason

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Buy Saab CPO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rip-off, what?

Take the money you would pay every month for the warranty and put it in a good savings account. Odds are pretty good that you won't ever need more than you've payed in plus the interest. (...and you get to cash it in if you never use it.)

Think about it, if there was no way to take in more money than you pay out on warranty claims then there wouldn't be anyone selling these policies.

:cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with Sigil. I purchased an extended 3rd party warranty, 2 years 22,000 miler, and I have not got my monies worth. For every claim they have processed there are two that they have denied asserting that "the contract does not specifically mention that component or part." You are better off throwing the monies in an interest bearing account as your Saab Recovery Fund.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I had an aftermarket warranty on my last car. I would never buy another. The company denied several claims. It's been a while but I honestly can't remember them paying a single one. Halfway through the warranty, they went bankrupt. There was a class action lawsuit. I never saw a dime. Here's their site: http://www.warrantygold.com/

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yeap, I went GMPP. And yes they still sell it for Saab. Theres a big thread of where to get it for cheap. I got mine for 1500. 100K and 7 total years bumper-bumper.

I too recommend a Saab CPO'd car. The GMPP is good if they'll still sell it for Saab.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I skipped out on the CPO because it would've added $2000 to the purchase price, and my car had the 4yr/50k bumper to bumper and 6(7?)yr/100k powertrain. I can't imagine so much would go wrong after 50k that will cost me that 2k that isn't a wear item like brakes or a clutch or something. With the powertrain covered, it made even less sense.

Unless you drive a VAG (v dub especially) I wouldn't really bother and agree with the posters that say pocket the cash. However, I did buy an aftermarket one for my VW - paid $1500 in 2001 and it paid for itself in over $3500 in repairs in 2 years. Piece of junk that car was.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I skipped out on the CPO because it would've added $2000 to the purchase price, and my car had the 4yr/50k bumper to bumper and 6(7?)yr/100k powertrain. I can't imagine so much would go wrong after 50k that will cost me that 2k that isn't a wear item like brakes or a clutch or something. With the powertrain covered, it made even less sense.

Unless you drive a VAG (v dub especially) I wouldn't really bother and agree with the posters that say pocket the cash. However, I did buy an aftermarket one for my VW - paid $1500 in 2001 and it paid for itself in over $3500 in repairs in 2 years. Piece of junk that car was.
Someone was trying to screw you, a CPO is not an add on.... it is advertised for sale as CPO or not. My Dealer informed me it costs 1100 dollars to certify a car...before it goes on sale.

What can go wrong, If a CIM goes it's gonna cost you a grand Right there..... an Alternator is 700..

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Someone was trying to screw you, a CPO is not an add on.... it is advertised for sale as CPO or not. My Dealer informed me it costs 1100 dollars to certify a car...before it goes on sale.
My dealer told me that it cost them $1500 to about $2000 to CPO a Saab depending on the work that it needed. So far I have gotten about $500 in warranty parts/labor or so out of my CPO (all little things).

·
Registered
179 Posts

What can go wrong, If a CIM goes it's gonna cost you a grand Right there..... an Alternator is 700..
Yea they lowered the price of the car accordingly. It was super cheap. If i had wanted it CPO I negotiated them to a $1700 tack on to the price, which I decided against because I have so much warranty left. If in 2 years, when it expires I get nailed for a $1700 bill its going to suck, but won't be any worse than I had I paid that amount of up front.

Are CIMs common failure parts on the 08-09s yet? I thought it was more robust since the 07 interior redesign, even though its the same part. On the Saab site I see 2.0T alternators are $357 after the core charge refund, thats not a big deal for me. Labor on an alternator might be $200. I've never had a car where the alternator failed before 150k.

I went with an 08 because all the user and consumer reports on reliability for prior problem areas seemed to have improved. With the 100k warranty on the powertrain I have confidence in the engine, and in not having to worry about repair bills there. The electrics seemed to give the most fits, but again that seems to have been improved a bit too. Creaks and squeaks i can fix myself, and if the suspension gives me issues after 75k i don't mind having to pay for that either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts