SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the CV axle, eEuro has FEQ, DSS, and "Aftermarket", and Rockauto has a couple cheaper options.

Has anyone used any of these or have another recommendation?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
I always use remanufactured axles, since they're OEM parts. I've heard too many stories over the years of new Chinese-made axles breaking, and the new one are all made in China.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you buy remanufactured axles? I've seen people talk about them but haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I second the reman units. If you go that route use a discount code. It's sometimes cheaper then commercial account prices.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I just looked at rockauto and it looks like all the decent brands aren't in stock anymore.. suretrack isn't bad, Cardone is probably yhe best they offer. I wonder if there even being made anymore. It's not a good sign when axles are tough to source.

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it looks like O'Reilly's might be able to special order the remans but I'm not certain. NAPA looks like they have good availability but more expensive.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
An O'Reilly's not far from my house had one in stock recently. They are out there. The problem with ordering from RockAuto is that return shipping on the core is so expensive that it's hardly worth it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Regarding remans, you might also look to see if there's a local rebuilder in your area. Way back in the day when I had european fords and needed a new rear CV, I found a local rebuilder who would do same-day turnaround on the axles that I brought him. At the time, my choices were Motorcraft from the dealer (who shipped them from europe and charged me out the butt), a few US places who sourced parts from europe much like eeuro and others do now...or him. He was much cheaper and quality was fine.

If you're near St. Louis, MO, the place is called "Hillco". They also used to re-do steering racks.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
I rebuilt an axle on my 1997 900, just to see how hard it would be. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but I can at least say that I've done that job now. The outer boot ripped on my wife's 2001 9-5, and I intended to replace just the boot, but the circlip on the outer CV joint is hidden. You have to hold the axle and tap the CV joint off. Unfortunately I don't have a large or heavy enough vice to hold it still, so I ended up going with a remanufactured axle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts