SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been following this forum for quite awhile, and now I think I need to ask my own questions. I am 99.9% sure I will be purchasing a 9-5 soon, and need some more input before I make my decision.

Until speaking to two SAAB service people and two independent mechanics my first choice was a 2002 ARC 3.0 6 cyl. with about 46,000 miles. Driving it put a smile on my face that came back every time I thought about the experience. No other makes I have tested even came close. I have since tested a Linear, and hope to drive an Aero soon. The Linear was pretty uninspiring; I know I will enjoy the Aero! This ARC does not have the owners manual or service history with it.

Can anyone here give me your personal experience with the 6 cyl long term? What about xenon headlamps, are they reliable or just one more expensive replacement waiting to happen? What about the Linear low pressure turbo vs the Aero high pressure turbo? Does the Aero fail more frequently?

I am an auto enthusiast of moderate means, and like to keep a car long-term. I currently own a 1989 Jetta GLI Wolfsburg that still looks and drives like new, but was burned on my last purchase of a 1997 Passat GLX VR6. After driving the 9-5 vs the Passat, I'm afraid I have to leave VW behind!

Thank you in advance for any and all ideas, comments, experiences and advice you can give me. Murphy500
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I own a 99 V6t and I love it! I havent had any engine problems and it maintains perfect fluid levels. I'm planning on putting some suspension on it in the next month and hopefully a Nordic stg2 ECU upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
murphy500 said:
What about the Linear low pressure turbo vs the Aero high pressure turbo? Does the Aero fail more frequently?
I can answer this part. Interestingly enough, the aero turbo is more reliable than the LPT turbo. The engines are the same though, and well built so the there are no issues with parts failing due to the increased performance. However there is an oil sludging problem with the 4 cylinder engines, the 2.3 and 2.0 (in europe), it's a flaw with the PCV system. If synthetic oil is used and changed every 5,000 miles or so then it's not an issue. Avoid a car that had it's oil changed every 10,000 miles at the saab dealership (that's what saab specified) as that would be a recipe for trouble down the road. Another way to check is to open the hood and squeeze the pcv hoses, if they're firm that's good but if they're squishy walk away. The V6 engines had no such sludging issues so if you opt for one you don't have to worry about it.

Also, I can say from experience that the aero is a real hoot, I love mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Personaly I would choose between the two extremes: 2.0 lpt or Aero.

For a rel. low budget, go for a 2.0 lpt with full options. :cool:

Where and when are you going to drive more than 100 mph? Is an Aero necessary or just s'thing to show off? Be realistic....

Think practical! Can you afford the speeding tickets?

You could always upgrade an 2.0 lpt which works out cheaper also!

My next car will be an Aero as I can drive it in Germany...as fast as it goes:cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Additional ?

:lol: Thank You. I was hoping to see a couple of quick replies, as I am leaving to go drive the Aero. Trouble is, they don't have a used one so I will have to test a new one. Aawww....

Does anyone know, even if it is not personal experience, what the issues may be with the 6 that would cause the mechanics to steer me away from it? The only statement one of them made was that after about 60,000-70,000 mi they have problems, and like I said, I am looking for a keeper!! Did the engine change between 1999 and 2002? I need to make a quick decision about this particular '02 ARC, because after tomorrow it may not still be available. As SAABS require TLC, do you consider it an issue that the original manuals are not with the car? It is a very good price.
I am aware of the sludge issue, so I think if I choose the 2.3 that I will make sure the one I purchase has a service history. Thanks again, I'm going to have some fun....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
I've driven the 2.0t SE Airflow manual but thought it was gutless (i'd owned a Honda Accord type R and Pug 306 Gti-6 previous), the 2.3t Vector manual was good (the 185bhp version), the V6 Griffin I drove was an Auto which was a heavenly cruise but a bit sedate. But I then drove the 2.3T Aero manual.......MMMMM well look what I brought!!!! In my opinion the mixture of good motorway cruising and shear power was to much to resist, and yes it is a bit more expensive to run. (Front tyres need replacing every 7-8K miles) but the smiles per mile make up for it:cheesy:

Let us know what you think after you test drive!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, due to a dealer who I now know I will NEVER buy anything from, I was not able to drive the Aero. While speaking to the SAAB technician, the salesman heard me asking about other cars I was considering (all Saabs), and questioned me on it. I said that they were SAABS, and if purchased would be coming there for service. He very rudely said that HE would not be making any money on that, and was very curt from then on. Resorted to the old school line of the typical salesman, asking me what it would take for me to buy their red on biege 03 Linear, which I had strongly stated that I was NOT interested in. Needless to say, I walked out. Now have to wait until next week to go to a different dealer and hope for a little more professionalism and a little less old time smarmy car salesman. :roll:

Anybody here have a sportwagon? Still interested in any and all input, and thanks to all who have replied! Murph
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Don't buy the V6! The engine is made by Opel and not saab! Its also not available in a manual. In my opinion it takes the saab out of a saab. Also saab has agreed to cover the repairs on cars with the oil sludging problem so if the car you buy has this problem they will fix it at no extra charge (even outside of the 4 yr 50,000 mi warranty).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Bought the V6t 1.5 years ago. Fantastic highway ride, 28mpg. Gets very thirsty in traffic. It's an Opal/GM europe engine, widely used there but rare in the US. Very strange design - the Saab engineers only used one bank of the V6 for turbocharging - why not twin-turbo it and run against Audi S4 and S6's?

Independent Saab specialists don't have the special tools needed to deal with it so for the gnarlier servicing you must go to a dealer. The independents warned me against buying it. It's an interference engine, so if it's >60k miles, with no service records you must get the T-belt and tensioner changed. A dealer will do the belt at 60k under warranty but not the tensioner - pay and have it done. It's a great ride, but you must maintain it religiously and it will not be cheap.

Most of the performance shops wont bother with it either - insufficient demand, I guess. But I'm told Nordic Tuning has some parts.

If I had to do it again I'd have gotten the classic Saab 4-cylinder. At least then the Saab specialists would enjoy working on it.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hello, Newsaabie, Welcome to Saab Central. great to have someone who knows about the V6 :)



Finn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
murphy500 said:
Unfortunately, due to a dealer who I now know I will NEVER buy anything from, I was not able to drive the Aero. While speaking to the SAAB technician, the salesman heard me asking about other cars I was considering (all Saabs), and questioned me on it. I said that they were SAABS, and if purchased would be coming there for service. He very rudely said that HE would not be making any money on that, and was very curt from then on. Resorted to the old school line of the typical salesman, asking me what it would take for me to buy their red on biege 03 Linear, which I had strongly stated that I was NOT interested in. Needless to say, I walked out. Now have to wait until next week to go to a different dealer and hope for a little more professionalism and a little less old time smarmy car salesman. :roll:

Anybody here have a sportwagon? Still interested in any and all input, and thanks to all who have replied! Murph

That sales guy sounds like a real quality guy! LOL I bought my 9-5 Aero wagon in December and LOVE it! And, whenever people give me grief about having a "station wagon" I hit them with the fact that it is a "Sport Wagon"!!! :cheesy: I bought if with 58K miles on it and it is already just about to hit 68K. I just replaced the water pump on it Thursday which I guess was just one of those things. It didn't fail on me but one morning just started making a ton of bearing noise. Fortunately, it's only a 1.8 hour job so it wasn't a ridiculously expensive fix (plus I had a buddy do it ;) ). In my research there seems to have been a fair amount of timing chain failures and related problems due to the oil sludging issues but believe that's on '02 & prior models. Other than very precise service records and checking the condition of the PVC system though, this isn't going to be something easily recognizable until the problem occurs. Overall I LOVE my 9-5 Aero and whenever the time comes, most likely replace it with another. It's super comfortable, very quick & responsive, and gets a fair amount of looks! Good luck w/ your search!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
newsaabie said:
Bought the V6t 1.5 years ago. Fantastic highway ride, 28mpg. Gets very thirsty in traffic. It's an Opal/GM europe engine, widely used there but rare in the US. Very strange design - the Saab engineers only used one bank of the V6 for turbocharging - why not twin-turbo it and run against Audi S4 and S6's?
Funny about your comments about being thirsty but I have a 2.5 N/A V6 this out performs the 2.0turbo on economy we have :confused:

The main reason from what I can gather for one turbo rather than any kind of twin arrangement is that it would only withstand being an lpt, it would be a waste of everyones money to try and make it a full HOT unit [as the new Holden V6 will be capable of delivering]. So what Saab did was bump up further the mid torque without adding peak boost stress with the little turbo, don't worry about the Vauxhall origin of the V6 Saab had it heavily re engineered just for lpt use, don't forget the Saab 4cyl is just a re-hashed Triumph engine - there is nothing new or clever about it.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Pat said:
Personaly I would choose between the two extremes: 2.0 lpt or Aero.

For a rel. low budget, go for a 2.0 lpt with full options. :cool:

Where and when are you going to drive more than 100 mph? Is an Aero necessary or just s'thing to show off? Be realistic....

Think practical! Can you afford the speeding tickets?

You could always upgrade an 2.0 lpt which works out cheaper also!

My next car will be an Aero as I can drive it in Germany...as fast as it goes:cheesy:
Pat I can see where you are coming from, but owning a powerful car like the aero doesnt automatically assume that thier owners like or drive over 100mph and get speeding tickets :confused:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top