SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, i am thinking of putting 3 guages in my stereo slot in my 900 T16, can anyone recommend what guages would be best to get (ie: oil pressure, oil temp etc...) I already have an accessory boost guage. I am also afte guages that are pretty easy to connect up, as i don't want to be stripping the engine to pieces to make them work.

Many thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
IMO the three most vital to get after a boost gauge would be oil pressure, oil temperature and a voltmeter.

Maybe a wide band air fuel gauge? Might be a little over kill.

Check out this site for gauges. None of them would be difficult to install on our cars, just time consuming. Do a quick search on gauges and you might find a write up.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
IMO the three most vital to get after a boost gauge would be oil pressure, oil temperature and a voltmeter.
It all depends on what you're using the car for. For an all-year-round daily driver, outside temp can be very useful in climates where you'll often get temperatures around freezing in pockets.

If it's a hard-pressed track-day toy, then gearbox oil temp could save you having to pick bits up.

If you're busily installing or tweaking aftermarket fuel management, then wideband air-fuel would be really useful.

·
Registered
888 Posts
On a street car that is fairly stock [some turbo tweeks] I have a boost gauge, oil pressure gauge and volt meter gauge. I have a set of VDO gauges that look similar to original [and the green lights match the factory cluster]. A plate is easy to fabricate and there is a company here in the states that makes one out of a PVC type material. It's a friction fit.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It all depends on what you're using the car for.
I was assuming this was for a daily driving application. An outside temp would come in handy as well for those who live in colder climates. It barely gets down to 40 here during the winter.

I wish we had more mounting options that don't require removal of the stereo.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The car is a fairly heavily modified dail driver...

Chris
Then oil pressure, boost and volt at a minimum, the others as some suggest [if modified as yours is] are also good. I prefer the radio slot for my gauges. They are much easier to monitor. The radio works great in the lower slot IMO.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi All, i am thinking of putting 3 guages in my stereo slot
Hi Chris,

If you haven't got one already, I came across a great mounting plate on ebay a couple of weeks ago. It is made of black painted alli and the three holes are stepped so when in place, the gauges are angled toward the driver slightly. Cost about 9 squids.

For me it is boost, oil pressure and volts.

Cheers

Chris

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Oil pressure is a must. If you lose engine oil pressure you lose your engine and turbo. Engine oil temp would also be useful, don't forget there's more wear on an engine if you push it hard before the oil has warmed up properly - and that takes longer than the coolant.

The third position is harder to pick. Don't see the point of boost because when you're boosting hard you really don't want to be looking down at gauges! Outside temp is a possible because we do get the odd random cold snap that would be nice to know about. Alternatively as already mentioned gearbox oil temp but I suspect that's only of real use on tracks or very long journeys. Voltmeter I don't really see the point of because as already said the electrical systems are already very reliable and you should notice immediately if the charging system fails.

Wideband would be useful but expensive!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Then oil pressure, boost and volt at a minimum, the others as some suggest [if modified as yours is] are also good. I prefer the radio slot for my gauges. They are much easier to monitor. The radio works great in the lower slot IMO.
i have the same 3 gauges! except my oil press max is 80psi. the engine's pressure doesn't every go more than 60 in my case...

des

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you by chance know who the seller was?...I would like to change over to that type when I replace my face panel.
ebay seller rudiemods

Not good with links but look up item 380213971219 (UK Ebay)

Can't believe that there wouldn't be something like this on US ebay 'though.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
I'd want a Voltmeter (accurate); don't need anything else.
If you can interpret what it's telling you, the Voltmeter can monitor every electrical device in the car.

A light works fine for Oil Pressure.
Engine Oil never gets hot enough in normal use to care.
Gearbox Oil is the same.
Boost is useless unless diagnosing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check ebay for Audi VDO gauges, most of the sporty Audi's from the early 80's onwards were fitted with three auxiliary gauges, often mounted on a DIN sized mount.

I picked some up on ebay last week for £15...

·
Registered
888 Posts
ebay seller rudiemods

Not good with links but look up item 380213971219 (UK Ebay)

Can't believe that there wouldn't be something like this on US ebay 'though.

Cheers

Chris
I did find a US seller...$20.00 including shipping. I had to trim about 1/8" off of the ends and it is now in place. I do prefer the slight angle towards the driver, this makes it easier to read the gauges. It's also metal as opposed to my old pvc type material. Better solution all around.

I do think the oil pressure and boost are useful. I like to know the actual psi I am getting for both.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree, oil pressure and volt are important, boost nice to see if you like it.

@marmite: If you want to measure oil temperature, some people measure it on the drain plug. I wouldn't recommend that, since the temperature reading will be influenced by the wind from driving. Best is to measure it at the oil filter. There are distance plates available where you can connect the sensor for temperature and pressure.

The orginial Saab gauges are the most desirable and also most pricey version. I have VDO gauges. They look nice and fit closely to the orginal gauges from Saab.

Btw @turbo1992: Knock light below the gauges?

Stephan

·
Registered
585 Posts
Btw @turbo1992: Knock light below the gauges?
most likely. Here is what mine looks like, knock light just above the boost gauge. I just got a set of original saab gauges for $40! I had to refinsh them but I think they turned out well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
most likely. Here is what mine looks like, knock light just above the boost gauge. I just got a set of original saab gauges for $40! I had to refinsh them but I think they turned out well.

You mean the three Saab gauges in the picture? They look really good. They cost normally quiet a bit.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You mean the three Saab gauges in the picture? They look really good. They cost normally quiet a bit.
yupp I got lucky :cheesy: they were in pretty sad shape and I had to buy the senders too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts