SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my car hit as it was parked. The damage to the back left bumper indicates the car was clipped at an angle with enough force to almost break off the bumper. AS a result of getting an estimate for the damages, my mechanic noticed the rear axle was bent and likely as part of the accident. The Insurance adjuster says there is no proof to support the bent axle as part of this hit.

Has anybody ever had any experience with this sort of accident?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Is the axel bent or did the impact to the bumper shift the whole side panel forward enough to make it appear the axel was bent?

If he hit one of the wheels or tires on the way past then yes, its very likely that's what bent the axel.

Without hitting one of the wheels I can't see how a parking lot accident could bend the axel though.

If your "mechanic" is really a mechanic and not a bodyman, then I would get a couple professional opinions and quotes from body shops.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Come to my house and look at my car with no bent axle and see if yours is bent :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt88S said:
Is the axel bent or did the impact to the bumper shift the whole side panel forward enough to make it appear the axel was bent?

If he hit one of the wheels or tires on the way past then yes, its very likely that's what bent the axel.

Without hitting one of the wheels I can't see how a parking lot accident could bend the axel though.

If your "mechanic" is really a mechanic and not a bodyman, then I would get a couple professional opinions and quotes from body shops.
Here's more info, looking at the car from the rear we could see the left tire stick out of the wheel well where the right tire does not stick out. This would support the theory of the shift of the side panel but the side panel is untouched and appears straight. The tire does not appear to have been impacted as there doesn not appear to be any damage on the panel.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
atmondou said:
Here's more info, looking at the car from the rear we could see the left tire stick out of the wheel well where the right tire does not stick out.
Don't forget that the suspension does move side-to-side as it goes up and down, due to the geometry of the Panhard rod.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
The side pannels move quite easily upon rear impacts, I'd say your whole rear has shifted, if so without a doubt as far as insurance is concerned the car is totaled.

Have a good bodyshop look at it, they can see things normal people can't or don't.

If that is indeed what has happened, then it will need to go on a rack and be pulled back to true.

I'd let the insurance total it, buy it back for peanuts, and have it fixed properly and then go on down the road. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts