SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I want to try cloning some ECM’s due to an issue I have with an Orio-sourced ECM for my 2011 9-3 (for background on this part of the story, look here: https://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726946 )

Anyway I know that the Trionic CANFlasher + OBDLink SX or similar should be able to do this via the car’s OBD port. But, I want to do this off the car if possible to avoid multiple off and on cycling of the ECM plugs and generally just to avoid risk of causing some problem of any kind.

What I am wondering is whether there is a write-up or information on constructing a bench system. I believe what is needed are:

J1962 plug
Power supply
ECM plug
Wiring between ECM plug, power supply, and J1962 plug
Some kind of pass-through such as OBDLink SX
Laptop with CAN flasher software

I already have a good lab-grade 12-volt power supply (that can be adjusted from 1v-15v if higher voltage like 12.5v or whatever is needed), but I’m missing the wiring/pin location info for the ECM and J1962 plugs. Since I already have the most expensive part, a good power supply and a laptop, the other parts could be assembled for little $ if I can get an OEM ECM plug from a wrecked 9-3.

Anybody happen to have a wiring schematic for this setup somewhere?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I browsed the forum but I wasn’t able to find exactly what I was looking for. One problem is that maybe due to low/no post count, I can’t view images. I’ll keep looking there though.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Unless you intend doing lots of ECU's it makes more sense to do this on the car....I would just go the OBDLink SX route and put a charger on the car before hand to make sure you are always above 12v.

To clone the ECU on the car you dont have to disconnect anything until you put the donor in the vehicle and you would have to unplug it anyway to do it on the bench....which is the same number of disconnects....either way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you intend doing lots of ECU's it makes more sense to do this on the car....I would just go the OBDLink SX route and put a charger on the car before hand to make sure you are always above 12v.

To clone the ECU on the car you dont have to disconnect anything until you put the donor in the vehicle and you would have to unplug it anyway to do it on the bench....which is the same number of disconnects....either way.
I hear you that it would be simpler to do it on the car, in my case the donor ECU is off the car and the recipient is on, so slightly fewer plug cycles. Anyway I kind of like the idea of a bench setup, really it should be simple to build once I have the plugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
jza80
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing