SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My car makes squealing noise as if one of the belts was loose. It only happens for a minute or so, when the engine is cold though, so it's a bit hard to tell what's happening.

Any ideas ?

thanks,
tim.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Hi,

My car makes squealing noise as if one of the belts was loose. It only happens for a minute or so, when the engine is cold though, so it's a bit hard to tell what's happening.

Any ideas ?

thanks,
tim.
Check the tension on the main serpentine belt and the A/C compressor belt. My 9000 is a 1990 2.0 carlsson and I recently needed to re-tension the serp belt (I installed a new one a few weeks beforehand) as it was starting to squeal for a short while after starting when the alternator cut in and the voltage regulator caused it to put load on the belt.

If your car has a 2.3 engine it will have the later style of 'automatic' belt tensioner which shouldn't need any intervention except when replacing the serp belt.

The A/C compressor belt is a standard one.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Later SAABs use the serpentine belt to run all accessories. Only early 9000 have a separate V belt for the AC compressor.

On older 9000 the squeal could be the harmonic balancer breaking up but on the 9 5 this is unlikely. The serpentine belt is self tensioning I thought. The power steering pump can squeal if it is wearing out.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Hi,

Any ideas ?

thanks,
tim.
Maybe it is caused by a loose drive belt and the load on start up. The alternator will be putting out lots of amps to replace the draw on the battery created by starting when cold, so the pulley could be slipping.

But :confused: because it is a 95 I would have assumed a loose belt would not be possible, because of the automatic tensioning of the drive belt. I assume it is like the later 9000's with the 2.3 motor.

To check it out I suggest some chalk or talcum powder on the belt and alternator pulley before the next cold start. See if that changes the squeal in some way.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, I just realised I still had old info in my profile.

It has now been corrected. Sorry for misinformation!! :)

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
If your car has a 2.3 engine it will have the later style of 'automatic' belt tensioner which shouldn't need any intervention except when replacing the serp belt.
Craig.
Later SAABs use the serpentine belt to run all accessories. Only early 9000 have a separate V belt for the AC compressor.The serpentine belt is self tensioning I thought.
The automatic belt tensioner (#5) on the B234 engine is hydraulic, and it can leak and fail.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Excellent Saabken

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Thanks very much!

So, what will happen, should a tensioner fail ?
Mine did many years ago. But it was a slow leak. Serp. belt was squealing but may not have necessarily been solely due to the tensioner itself. Indie replaced tensioner, one other idler pulley and serp. belt all together since they were original. So I don't know what would have happened if the tensioner was allowed to keep leaking and fail in the end.

PS: just had indie replace my A/C compressor and the in/out tubes (rubber sections cracked and leaking, one part of aluminium tube also cracked) this past Monday. Total damage: Cdn$800 :cry:

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
So, what will happen, should a tensioner fail ?
I imagine the serpentine belt will eventually fail. In a worst case, if was to suddenly let go then you would lose your function of your alternator, water pump, a/c. Not a good thing!!

But I imagine a sudden failure would be highly unlikely.

Lets see if those who know more disagree with me.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
I imagine the serpentine belt will eventually fail. In a worst case, if was to suddenly let go then you would lose your function of your alternator, water pump, a/c. Not a good thing!!
It would be fairly catastrophic. Would one lose power steering and brakes too ? :eek:

rawill said:
But I imagine a sudden failure would be highly unlikely.

Lets see if those who know more disagree with me.
Looks like it's not impossible neither. Do search "serpentine" in 9000 Workshop :confused:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2331104

1 - 11 of 11 Posts