SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone any experience with re-packing the idler pulley bearings with grease?

SWMBO's were getting noisy so I pulled the pulleys. The bearings were dry, but still felt OK, so I just prised out the one of plastic shields from the bearings, pushed some grease into the bearings and refitted the shields.

The pulleys now run nice and quiet and best of all, this fix cost about a half teaspoon of grease.

As most bearings fail due to lack of lubrication, it would make sense to include a bearing repack as part of a preventative maintenance program. If the pulleys generally last around 30,000 miles, then perhaps a 20,000 mile repack would help to prevent bearing failures, especially as it's such a simple job to remove the pulleys.

Has anyone else tried doing this?

Regards, Norbert

·
Registered
100 Posts
My pulley failed at 120,000 miles, but it took the power steering pump with it (I think). I would be very careful not to damage the pulley... I'm going to try to service my pulley every now and again, and I'm definately ordering an extra to put in my emergency parts box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like a good Idea to me.
If you can get the shields off and back on again this should work. And not add too much grease as to pop the shield off when back on.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
imad4saabs said:
Sounds like a good Idea to me.
If you can get the shields off and back on again this should work. And not add too much grease as to pop the shield off when back on.
Agree with reservations , here we are trying to out-think the design engineer - this may be possible as they are shackled by economics (make the part as cheaply as possible, but make it last 100,000 miles !)
This does not always work as planned...
A commercial application will use grease nipples and a different design of course, but they want things to last, if possible, a million miles !!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I do this to the pulleys on my 900SE and my son's 900S. You have to be careful when prying loose the bearing seals. They're very easy to bend and difficult to straighten because they're made of copper and covered with plastic. I've started to put some epoxy on the outer seal edge after refilling the bearing with grease. There's no need to do this on the inner edge because the spin forces the grease to the outside edge.

So far I have had no failures or need for a repack over the last two to three years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts