SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered in other threads, but here it is anyway. I think it'll be a global model and not just for the North American market given the right-hand drive version :)

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/05/23/103259.html

Saab's First Indiana-Born Vehicle Could Soon Become Reality

Washington DC May 23, 2005; AIADA reported that Saab is gearing up for production of its seven-passenger 9-6X SUV to begin next year at Subaru’s Lafayette, Ind. plant -- the first vehicle produced in Indiana for the automaker. According to Automotive News, “Saab has not specified volumes for the 9-6X. But the plant, which is owned by General Motors partner Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., will apparently have room for about 10,000 to 15,000 a year.”

More from the News: “In the second quarter of 2006 the Indiana plant will begin producing export-only, right-hand-drive versions of the Tribeca. Production of the 9-6X is planned to follow. "Whether it develops into anything long term, we don’t know," said Thomas Easterday, senior vice president of human resources and corporate affairs at Subaru of Indiana Automotive. "But having General Motors and Saab have the confidence in our quality and our production capacity to build a vehicle here is important."

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
SaabKen said:
I know this has been covered in other threads, but here it is anyway. I think it'll be a global model and not just for the North American market given the right-hand drive version :)

More from the News: “In the second quarter of 2006 the Indiana plant will begin producing export-only, right-hand-drive versions of the Tribeca.
Well, Tribeca is a "Japanese vehicle" right? I know will be sold elsewhere, but Japense roots .... and RHD is the rule in Japan. Maybe global, maybe just here and Japan?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A seven passenger SUV ?? This must be huge then, larger than the VW Tuareg/ Porsche Ceyanne. And I hope that this is not another variant of a Chevrolet Suburban..
Much better if this is something on an "all-new" chassis...
I wonder what this is based on ?? And Fuji/GM should be smart enough to lose Subaru's silly boxer engine and use something more conventional, including Diesel - a must, IMO..

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw the Tribeca couple of months ago at our auto show and it's a 7-seater (small 3rd-row bench) and it's about the same size roughly as an RX330 or Highlander. Saab perviously said it would not make the 9-6X with 3rd-row seats to prevent rear-collision risks to those passengers. Either Saab changed its mind or the media's got it wrong.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Going by recent reports, I'd say this one overlooked the fact that the seating arrangement would be different in the 9-6x.

Storage and safety are more of a factor than seating excess little whipper-snappers (avg 2.3 kids only please :cheesy: ).

·
Registered
99 Posts
earthworm said:
A seven passenger SUV ?? This must be huge then, larger than the VW Tuareg/ Porsche Ceyanne. And I hope that this is not another variant of a Chevrolet Suburban..
Much better if this is something on an "all-new" chassis...
I wonder what this is based on ?? And Fuji/GM should be smart enough to lose Subaru's silly boxer engine and use something more conventional, including Diesel - a must, IMO..
This SUV is based on a Subaru and has no connection (engineering wise) to any of GMs Trucks/SUVs. It will be SAABs take on Subaru's new B9 Tribeca. The Tribeca has a nice shape so I think it might look and do real good in some SAAB skin.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts