SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked my wife up a 97 900 4 door hatch. im wanting to to a few things to bring the turbo up,, where do you suggest i start?

i thought a manual boost controller, and a much larger blowoff valve ( i want everyone to here it!)

i wouldnt mind to get more into it and im not strapped for cash, i could afford to play a little.

would like to hear what you guys think, so let me know!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hey lifelesslived, first off welcome to saab central, there are a lot of knowledgeable sources here that can come to your aid.
Secondly, I have to ask you the same question I ask everybody when they first start getting the mod bug: what kind of power goals do you have?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Hmmm, ok I would tell you to look up http://smartperformance.net/ and get their MBC+A, it's a manual boost controller + anticipator, I don't know a lot about them because I have a T7 engine, which can only handle SMBCs (series manual boost controllers) which don't yeild as much of a boost increase as an MBC+A, but since you have a T5 engine management system, you can use it.
Just write Jeff (the owner) an e-mail of any questions you have, he's a pretty helpful.

Other than that, I would tell you to check out www.genuinesaab.com and look at all the wonderful gadgets they have to offer for your particular model.
By the power goals you specified, you probably would want to go with a stg 2 or 3 Nordic system, which you will find on the above site.

Other than that, it's really up to you, performance exhausts, intakes, intercoolers, all kinds of good stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
lifelesslived17 said:
nothing crazy, 30-60 horse. something i can feel but without questioning driveability

def get boost controller. best bang out there for the buck. and if u want to get some more sound and smoother acceleration...open air intake and open up the exhaust by deleting the resonator. any muffler shop can do it and should cost less than 70 bucks to install a straight pipe in place of the res. the intake and exhaust wont give you really any hp gain but will aid in the boost controllers full potential. after that drive around and try to keep the smile off your face. and a fresh pair of briefs might be required!:cheesy:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smog?

Saabrunner05 said:
def get boost controller. best bang out there for the buck. and if u want to get some more sound and smoother acceleration...open air intake and open up the exhaust by deleting the resonator. any muffler shop can do it and should cost less than 70 bucks to install a straight pipe in place of the res. the intake and exhaust wont give you really any hp gain but will aid in the boost controllers full potential. after that drive around and try to keep the smile off your face. and a fresh pair of briefs might be required!:cheesy:
luckily i dont l;ive in an emssions testing state, so i was already thinking about deleting the cat and res. i build the cold air myself and also thought about having my exhasut guy build me a custom 2 1/2 or 3 inch system from the turbo back.

im wanting to get the mbc+a system from smart, but i also want to do something with the wastegate so its louder. my buddy has an eclipse and you can hear that turbo whistling and whooshing all the time, thats what i want, plain and simple. i want to hear that little thing huffing and puffing

·
Registered
956 Posts
throw open air intake on, full 3 inch exhaust, bov, stage3 tune, and recommended to get fmic and you will be at around 260 hp 280 lb ft. having an cone filter intake will really make the turbo audible. for now while stock just take the pipe from the stock bpv off going into the intake for that to give you the nice bov sound you seem to want.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I don't mean to seem like an ***, but the wastegate wont change any sound.
And on your stock turbo, there's no need to mess with the wastegate.

The BOV however will change the sound, as will a higher flowing exhaust and most of all an open air intake.

I would advise you however to keep the cat, I don't have to pass emissions either, but I still kept mine on. If you get a well made one (like the one that comes on the genuine Saab down pipe) it wont really effect the performance anyways, especially if you aren't looking to go crazy with hp. It's also far more detrimental to the environment, which seems pointless if you wont get any performance out of it. Of course you have to do whatever you want to do, but this is my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Saabrunner05 said:
I have to agree with you on the bang-for-your-buck aspect of a boost controller, I couldn't believe the result a $30 SMBC had on my vehicle.

For the exhaust though, the biggest restriction points I noticed were the downpipes them selves, and the cats after them, of which there should be two, I know the T7's have two, but I do not know about the T5's.
The stock muffler on mine was also ridiculous, not only did it restrict flow, but it was stupidly heavy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
if you wanna hear the turbo more than what an open intake and exhuast would do, your going to need to buy a bigger one, alot bigger. and then a tune and all the other goodies to control the power. so its either the 100-150 buck range or the 2000+ dollar range.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so, is there reall any difference between boost controllers? theres alot of dirt cheap ones on ebay, and some nice ones to. i realize you get what you pay for, but the physics behind a boost controller are fairly simple,, seems like itd be hard to frig it up

·
Registered
386 Posts
I use a turboxs that I got for cheep and it works awesome. If you can find a reasonable priced name brand MBC then go for it. try craigslist or ebay, theres always stuff on there. just dont buy the non name brand **** that lasts a year or less.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think the MBC+A from smartperformance is a real no brainer if you're looking for bang-for-your-buck performance. Its designed specifically for our cars with substantial parts and yields some pretty impressive spool up decreases and boost increases. Definitely noticable. I had my installation completed within 45 minutes of receiving the product and had my tune complete within a few days. Just get a boost controller if you want a completely headacheless tune period. You're paying the extra money to get a product designed specifically for the NG900 plus all the included vac lines, taps, and ties. Its a nice package.

PS - open air intake really helps to smooth things out IMO. You may not see the biggest gains in real horsepower, but I swear that I havent had a single issue with adjusting the MBC since I installing my foam filter element. Things are just much smoother...and if you're into hearing your turbo, etc.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
lifelesslived17 said:
luckily i dont l;ive in an emssions testing state, so i was already thinking about deleting the cat and res. i build the cold air myself and also thought about having my exhasut guy build me a custom 2 1/2 or 3 inch system from the turbo back.

but i also want to do something with the wastegate so its louder. my buddy has an eclipse and you can hear that turbo whistling and whooshing all the time, thats what i want, plain and simple. i want to hear that little thing huffing and puffing
You mean a blow off valve not a wastegate...if you like the sound, you can change your stock BPV to a atmospheric blow off vale. There are a bunch out there.

If you have a guy around you that can fab up an exhaust, you will probably save a bunch. Most exhaust shops don't like to mess around with the flange so you might want to ask about that up front. Otherwise you will be looking for a machinse shop for that as well. Otherwise, the GS downpipe is a piece of art.
Other free mods you can do to increase airflow and create more sound.

• Save your money on the cold air intake and do the 3" airbox duct mod, drop in a high flow filter.
  • Remove the turbo silencer
  • Port the TBTC

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Turbo silencer is in the sliver pipe that goes inbetween the turbo and the intercooler.

I definately recomend at least a nice 3 inch downpipe. Jak Stol in Carolina or GenuineSaab in MO both have nice versions on this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tweek's Turbos said:
Turbo silencer is in the sliver pipe that goes inbetween the turbo and the intercooler.

I definately recomend at least a nice 3 inch downpipe. Jak Stol in Carolina or GenuineSaab in MO both have nice versions on this.
doesnt that pipe NEED to be there? are is that pipe special in some way that it silences the turbo more that an ordinarry pipe would. if i should remove it, what is recomended that i replace it with?

i was going to build my intake system today and remove that turbo silencer so any help would be cool,, cant wait to get my toy from smart and a blowoff valve, then ill really have some fun

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The silencer works much the same way a baffle in an exhaust does.

Removing it might net you a little more sound.

If you like, you can always remove the underbonnet (or underhood for you guys!) insulation - that will allow you to hear your turbo spooling up much more...

Having said all this - they are only really baby turbos in the first place, so there's only so much difference you can make...

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
StormCrow said:
The silencer works much the same way a baffle in an exhaust does.

Removing it might net you a little more sound.

If you like, you can always remove the underbonnet (or underhood for you guys!) insulation - that will allow you to hear your turbo spooling up much more...

Having said all this - they are only really baby turbos in the first place, so there's only so much difference you can make...
No kidding, I heard noises I didn't even know my turbo made after Iremoved that blanket, I'm particularly partial to the whine it gives when its spooling down after I let off the throttle. Not to mention the fact that doing this will help heat escape from the engine bay too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts