SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just some quick questions before I buy my summer set up.

The wheels Im looking at are 17x8 with an offset of 40 mm. Backspacing is 6.10 inches. And I planned on running 235/45 tires.

my first question, will they rub anywhere. I can get these wheels in 7.5 but Id like the 8s because theyre summer wheels. Also will these wheels catch the brake calipers? I cant imagine they would because theyre 17s but I thought I should check. And lastly any thoughts on the tires? Lower or higher profile?
Thanks in advance, I just want all of this straightened out before I spend a bunch on this set up

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I think 8 is a step too far, don't think it's gonna work as stock wheel is 6.5, that's a BIG jump. IMHO 7 is the better size with 225/50 rubber.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks. I was told that 9-3s could run all the way up to 8.5. If i did go with 8s i might do mild spacers

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It won't. I got 7.5's by mistake and they did not fit, let alone 8's. They would have rubbed against something or the other, honestly cannot remember what it was. They were Saturn Sky wheels. Needed spacers which i was not keen on.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
It won't. I got 7.5's by mistake and they did not fit, let alone 8's. They would have rubbed against something or the other, honestly cannot remember what it was. They were Saturn Sky wheels. Needed spacers which i was not keen on.
It all depends on offset. Stock SAAB wheels are 7.5 wide, so there's definitely not a problem there. What was the offset of your Sky wheels?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
No idea, i am sure offset is a factor but stock size is 6.5 not 7.5. AERO's are 7.5, arc 6.5.

I am telling you, 8 is too much, why one needs that much tyre is beyond me.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
No idea, i am sure offset is a factor but stock size is 6.5 not 7.5. AERO's are 7.5, arc 6.5.

I am telling you, 8 is too much, why one needs that much tyre is beyond me.
The only wheels that come in 6.5 wide are 16 inch. Every 17 inch SAAB wheel is either 7 or 7.5 wide. Again, 7.5" is perfectly fine, you said it yourself, it's stock. 8" is fine too. I run 19x8.5" without any issues too. There are even people on here who have run 9" wheels, you just have to be careful about offset.

And the point of going wider is mostly to accommodate larger diameter wheels, not to put more tire on the road.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
His car is an arc, that came stock with a 16 inch wheel. Mine did too, its the standard size on the base model.

He is going from 6.5 to 8 inch not 7.5 to 8. The car is not designed to handle an 8 inch wheel.

The 17 inch wheels were a hard to find option on the base model, only aeros came stock with 7.5s.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
His car is an arc, that came stock with a 16 inch wheel. Mine did too, its the standard size on the base model.

He is going from 6.5 to 8 inch not 7.5 to 8. The car is not designed to handle an 8 inch wheel.

The 17 inch wheels were a hard to find option on the base model, only aeros came stock with 7.5s.
That's ridiculous. The car can certainly handle 8 inch wheels. All the European Turbo-X cars and all the Carlsson models came factory with 19x8" wheels. It doesn't matter what he's going from. The wheel wells are the same size regardless of what wheel came on the car.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts

My Linear came with a 17 inch wheel and they are 7" wide. It doesn't matter a lick what the car came with. This car can run an 8 inch wheel just fine. Please don't argue if you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That's ridiculous. The car can certainly handle 8 inch wheels. All the European Turbo-X cars and all the Carlsson models came factory with 19x8" wheels. It doesn't matter what he's going from. The wheel wells are the same size regardless of what wheel came on the car.
But this is not a Carlson or a Tubo-X, it's a bog stock Arc that was a factory 6.5 inch wheel running 215/55 tyres.

At the very, very least you're going to need spacers which is an issue all unto itself but the bigger point is that an 8 inch wheel means a minimum 235 tyre, that's a ton of tire compared to the stock 215's the car is calibrated for.

You can't just throw anything at the car, your rolling diameter has to come into the equation and an 8 inch wheel is a step too far IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
9,375 Posts
But this is not a Carlson or a Tubo-X, it's a bog stock Arc that was a factory 6.5 inch wheel running 215/55 tyres.

At the very, very least you're going to need spacers which is an issue all unto itself but the bigger point is that an 8 inch wheel means a minimum 235 tyre, that's a ton of tire compared to the stock 215's the car is calibrated for.

You can't just throw anything at the car, your rolling diameter has to come into the equation and an 8 inch wheel is a step too far IMHO.
False.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts