SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

i finally got around to taking some before and after pics of my car. Its a 2005 2t Linear Auto (yes i wanted manual but settled for a more 'reasonable' choice.

Anyhow, here is what ive done so far:

1) BSR Stage 1
2) PFS 35mm Lowering springs (although i think the kit is actually lower)
3) 18" Mille Miglia EV-R Rims
4) Euro bumper strips
5) Hoen Pure white lights
6) Drop in Filter
7) Saab Catalogue rear spoiler
8) Aero front spoiler - this one is a little weird. I didnt buy the whole kit but rather found a deal on just the front. After installing it, i think it looks ok without the sides or rear, although i may change my mind down the road. How do you think it looks?

So my next steps:

1) Painted Calipers (thinking Black with white decals)
2) Samota Air intake
3) Dual sport exhaust
4) Aftermarket Stereo

So here are the before pics - sorry, i cant seem to bury the pics within the post itself. Mods, please help and repost if possible. thx

http://www.syrmosmedia.com/Saab/o1.jpg
http://www.syrmosmedia.com/Saab/o2.jpg

Here are the afters -:

http://www.syrmosmedia.com/Saab/n0.jpg
http://www.syrmosmedia.com/Saab/n1.jpg
http://www.syrmosmedia.com/Saab/n2.jpg
http://www.syrmosmedia.com/Saab/n3.jpg
http://www.syrmosmedia.com/Saab/n4.jpg

Thanks for looking and hope you like them

pg

·
Registered
155 Posts
very nice....

i ended up getting the front and rear skirts for my old arc - liked the look alot. the sides dont make too much difference although getting the rear skirt and having a nice exhaust would be real nice...

where did you get those wheels? i like them very much, and have been looking for mille miglias - but it seems like they dont exist anymore!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great job with the mods, looks great! I love those rims. Black calipers would look very good on it.
I have to get me the BSR PPC!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
This is a nice alternative of an Aero. You are a brave man, I have the exact 17" wheels, my car and my **** are taking a real beating on rough roads. I cannot imagine how I can survive 18".

The looks turn out really natural with the Aero chin spoiler, blands right in with the regular side skirts. Maybe you should also consider getting the Aero rear lower spoiler too, coz most people will be looking at your car's rear end alot of times when you have the BSR stage 1.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
car looks fantastic man, maybe pick up some silver coated bulbs off ebay it really cleans up the headlights and gets that orange out of there. They are only about ten bucks and still flask amber so u don't have to worry about tickets. Very nive man the rims look great and the car has a nice pitch to it, how is the ride with just srpings and no dampers? I only as because I did it that way but after only a couple weeks I coudn't take the bouncing and pounding and got so good koni dampers to solve the problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sphen

sphen said:
very nice....

i ended up getting the front and rear skirts for my old arc - liked the look alot. the sides dont make too much difference although getting the rear skirt and having a nice exhaust would be real nice...

where did you get those wheels? i like them very much, and have been looking for mille miglias - but it seems like they dont exist anymore!

I think you are right. The side skirts dont make much difference and in a weird way the straight edges fit the rims. However, i think the back skirt will be replaced with the new exhaust system.

The rims are out of production sadly, and i lucked out to be honest. I bought them from a fellow Sabber on Ebay.

thanks
pg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

Saab_IT said:
Great job with the mods, looks great! I love those rims. Black calipers would look very good on it.
I have to get me the BSR PPC!!!
Thanks,

Im going to post some photoshopped calipers on my car. I think Black would look sleek, but the red might be nice too.

best
pg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

benotone said:
This is a nice alternative of an Aero. You are a brave man, I have the exact 17" wheels, my car and my **** are taking a real beating on rough roads. I cannot imagine how I can survive 18".

The looks turn out really natural with the Aero chin spoiler, blands right in with the regular side skirts. Maybe you should also consider getting the Aero rear lower spoiler too, coz most people will be looking at your car's rear end alot of times when you have the BSR stage 1.
I appreciate the comments. I think the rear skirt will be on my check list in the near future. For now though, thinking the exhaust and intake will be next.

The 18's are ok to be honest. I don't seem to have a problem (knock on wood), although i also have been fairly carful when i see potted roads or high curbs.

best
pg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Saab-Jitsu said:
Those rims are off the HOOK!!!! Dang man, nice ride!
I think the rims are nice for our car, but again its too bad they are out of production. I think they have a similar 5 star version, but without the cutouts near the rim.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

DavidMorgan said:
Excellent looking car. I really like the front lip and rear spoler;I agree the sides are maybe not worth the effort. Great job. :D

I was worried about just putting the front aero lip, but i remember reading a post here that some Saab come in this configuration in Europe. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Vx

vectorX said:
car looks fantastic man, maybe pick up some silver coated bulbs off ebay it really cleans up the headlights and gets that orange out of there. They are only about ten bucks and still flask amber so u don't have to worry about tickets. Very nive man the rims look great and the car has a nice pitch to it, how is the ride with just srpings and no dampers? I only as because I did it that way but after only a couple weeks I coudn't take the bouncing and pounding and got so good koni dampers to solve the problem.

We think alike. I ordered my chrome signal bulbs last week and will hopefully have them soon. It will give the front end a cleaner, more mean look i think.

AS for the ride itself, to be honest i was scared $hitle$$ when i read your post, but i must say its been good so far. The ride is not as bouncy or hard as i thought. It is somewhere in the middle. Better than my stock config for sure. I figure i have another 15k kms on the dampers, afterwhich i will replace them with Koni's

Thanks again for your help in the right direction.

pg

·
Banned
975 Posts
Looks a lot better than I thought it would, how does the car handle on just springs without changing the struts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
See above

soggy said:
Looks a lot better than I thought it would, how does the car handle on just springs without changing the struts?
Honestly speaking, i have not had any problems so far. My friend who owns the garage, told me they are unecessary when you have relatively new factory ones. He said to not 'waste' my money until they wear out, at which point to buy the proper ones. He was right IMHO.

The ride is confortable, not too bouncy yet not to hard either. Its in the middle, which is perfect for my city driving.

best
pg

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
PaneraiGuy said:
We think alike. I ordered my chrome signal bulbs last week and will hopefully have them soon. It will give the front end a cleaner, more mean look i think.

AS for the ride itself, to be honest i was scared $hitle$$ when i read your post, but i must say its been good so far. The ride is not as bouncy or hard as i thought. It is somewhere in the middle. Better than my stock config for sure. I figure i have another 15k kms on the dampers, afterwhich i will replace them with Koni's

Thanks again for your help in the right direction.

pg
when I lowered my car I found out my shocks weren't in very good shape and the drop exaggerated the problem. U would know right away of its gonna be bouncey and rough. I thought the ride was better for about two days and then came to my senses and thought, I better get some dampers before this car rattle to pieces lol, but its possible your shocks are fine. My car only had 25,000 miles on it but our stock shocks are not the best especially on the early models 2003-2004 so keep an eye on it that's all I can say really. The springs and shocks are the exact same job fairly simple and not to costly u could always add them later if wanted, the roads here are pretty rough so I thought it was best to do it right away, like I said though my stock shocks up front where shot. When put the springs on the front wheels were tucked under the wheel well, way more then what the springs should have dropped the car, yours look about right at 35 mm. You know u can fit a much bigger tire on there to improve the ride right? When u go to replace those tires I recommend something with some more rubber to smooth the ride and fill the wheel well, I slapped a 255/35 on that's a bit extreme but a 245/35 would be in the middle some where.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
U know I hate to say this but I'm looking are your photos and thats looks like a lot more then a 35mm drop and if the springs are 35mm but the drop is more then ur shocks could be in trouble I would keep a close eye on it. If at speed u get a lot or bouncing or heavy hits on bumps then u know its time to change them out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crap

vectorX said:
U know I hate to say this but I'm looking are your photos and thats looks like a lot more then a 35mm drop and if the springs are 35mm but the drop is more then ur shocks could be in trouble I would keep a close eye on it. If at speed u get a lot or bouncing or heavy hits on bumps then u know its time to change them out.
Thanks VX. You're kind of scaring me, but what you said makes sense in terms of how low it is now. Again its funny that the ride is still very good, but i only had about 12500 miles (or 30000kms) on my car so i dont think they are shot. Plus i would probably feel them if they were.

I will have to keep a close eye like you said and worst case will probably just swap them before the winter comes. Will also have to replace the front lip with the stock linear version to avoid the snow issues.

best
pg

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm definitely not trying to ruin your mods and do believe your shocks could be fine u would know by the ride so I apologize if things are fine I'm just making some observations. If u look at my cardomain.com link the top photos are with the dampers the bottem ones, outside sunnt day wiuth grass and gravel, are with just springs u can see the difference. My car was pretty bad so u would know it really took the big bumps loud and hard so I'm thinking you're fine but it did drop the car a bit more then it probably would with dampers that looks more like 45mm drop or more?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2280630

my car has settled a little since this pics plus I added e-code strips but its basically the same, and I added a stage one bsr as well but still looks the same I guess. Like u said just keepo an eye on it thats all u can do really if u can make a year or so god bless u, the aftermarket dampers will be an upgrade no matter what shape your stock dampers are in anyway regardless of the ride height but why buy them if the ride is OK I wouldn't have,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
vectorX
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing