SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

been reading posts for a while but joined today to hopefully tap the collective knowledge - unfortunately it may be a one-way street for a while but I am learning fast.

I have recently bought a 2000 Viggen (still makes me smile to say it) to accompany my 900 SE 2.0T (Stage 1 to c.215bhp if you ignore its age - late '95).

Over the last week, on 3 occasions, immediately after firing up the Viggen there has been a rapid electronic beeping which lasts for about 2 seconds - seems to come from behind the dash. The guy I bought it off said it happened every few months and was nothing to worry about - although he could have said anything cus as long as it had 4 wheels and an engine I was having it.

As it has happened 3 times in a week he was either lying or it is happening more frequently than before.

From my description can anyone throw any light on what it is please?

Thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Depending on this "beeping" intensity, I'd guess something is amiss with the alarm system...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Can you better describe where the beeping is coming from and what it sounds like....i.e. does it come from the same place as the seat belt buzzer??

I believe the SID makess all the sounds...or?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

I didn't know I had a seat belt buzzer - so not sure where that is. I'll check.

I would say the sound is coming from behind the speedo/odometer - certainly from the right side of the dash. Its quite high pitched and rapid and occurs almost immediately after ignition.

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the Parrot Hands Free set up.

Its up for a service soon and then off to Abbot Racing for a few upgrades so if no-one thinks its a problem I'll get it sorted then.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks RBatsch - its good to be one!

Have you done anything to your Viggen - I have read and researched loads about upgrading especially on the various forums and have spoken to Giles at Abbot Racing and guys from Nordic. I have settled and arranged for Abbot to do work but I still have a niggling voice in the back of my mind suggesting caution.

Mines almost perfect condition at 77k miles and I can't grumble about performance (for time being). Have read about increased maintenance costs and technical glitches as a result of upgrades - as well as trouble free examples.

Wondered if you have done anything to yours and have you found it to be a fully recommendable process? I have full confidence in Abbot Racing but that still doesn't fully remove my caution.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Timely question Goatboy seeing my friend a Saab Mechanic and tuner himself just tried to get my Nordic Stage 3+ ecu to work last night with advice he'd gotten from Nick at GS...no go, again!!!

I reserve full judgement until I get the ecu functioning with respect to HP upgrades. However, if one were just to do the hardware upgrades without the intent of proceeding to a remapped ecu on a Viggen, I would recommend against it....not worth the cost, effort and side effects. I only say that because T7 does dumb things down over time and any gains are negligable. More so, there are trade-offs some that I don't like....for example less torque which is quite noticeable at highway speeds. I guess experiences can vary and butt dynos are all subjective but I had this confirmed by dyno. What have I done so far? MP intercooler, GS 3" v2 down pipe, BSR exhaust and K&N drop-in. The problems I'm having with the new Nordic ecu we're really not sure about but the car will not run with it, despite it being 'married'.

With respect to the chassis upgrades I've done, I highly recommend them....GS 6 point brace, upper strut brace, steering rack clamp and brace, GS transmission mount (GS motor mount yet to be installed). All of these work to make the Viggen feel much tighter which translates into better handling, shifting and power to the pavement....overall better behaved beast!

As for Abbot, they appear to be the originator of many of the modifications and have focussed on the Viggen since its debut. I would trust them and seeing it sound like you have access to them, so much the better. I would start with the chassis upgrades, perhaps even shocks (I'm considering the Bilsteins but not lowering springs). Then if you want more power.... consider to going all the way. I ran my car stock for a year before I did any of the HP upgrades to enure it was stable. I also flushed out all my fluids and replaced, changed my plugs and MAF, upgraded my PCV and checked for sludge....all highly recommended

Tell us more about your car....colour, drs, pics, etc? Mine has 77K kms now so that's about 48K miles.

I'll let you know what 300+HP feels like as soon as I get it....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had the day off work today - just taken her down the A50 to put a big grin on my face and nearly got popped by a TypeR - that voice of caution in the back of my mind is getting harder to hear.

I've just taken some pics which I hope are attached - I like the silver but would have preferred a different colour, especially as my 900 is the same. But after unsuccesfully chasing a couple of blue Viggens and not wanting a convertible I am happy enough. Was up for 5.5k but haggled down to 5 so paid pretty much what its worth - not many bargains out there.

The rescue kit was to be my first job but as with most Viggens of this age its already on - its the Abbot RK. Apart from that I am advised that its totally stock.

Paper work shows sump cleaned at 68k miles - apparently with zero sludge so not expecting that to be an issue yet. I plan ECU, full exhaust, air filter, delivery and intake and depending on whether my girlfriend has a fit (as I swapped our Australian holiday fund for the Viggen) I might throw an IC on as well.

I have a few reservations as when I upgraded the 900 I had it chipped first which was a nightmare - chip just couldn't get on with ECU - lots of issues so had to go down re-map route. But since then its been fine so I hope the Viggen will be too - and I plan to spend a lot more on Viggen as the 900 was a bit of an experiment that could afford to go wrong.

My problem is a very big lack of practical knowledge/experience - I am getting a handle on the theory but will have to pay someone to do most jobs. I could probably manage to clean my own MAF sensor and am reading up - I should have practised on the 900 as I would rather make my mistakes on her.

Abbot didn't seem to push chassis upgrades once knew the Abbot Rkit was on but I had thought of lowering her to augment Rkit. However, you have to drop car by about 25mm to fit RKit - so new shocks might be preferable. I don't like the idea of losing any mid-high end torque - its one of the fun things about the car to be able to accelerate so quickly even at high speeds.

Viggen came with a spare exhaust and I'll have another when upgraded so might put one on 900 if tail fits in bumper cut out - know any reasons why I can't?

Yours sounds serious - 300+hp -if I had more knowledge about maintaining mine I would feel more comfortable about creating a monster but at the mo am a bit apprehensive about maintenance costs for what I imagine would be a highly strung and demanding beast. How do you think 300hp will that affect frequency and intensity of servicing.

Sorry if its a bit of a ramble - still caught up in the excitement of it all!!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts