SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, this one kinda got away from us what with all the talk about racing, mexicans, and guns. It appears the site removed it altogether.
So lets try this again.

I'm planning on doing the rest of my exhaust with thermo-tech's copper infused wrap.

Any one else have a story about their heat wrapping techniques and such?

·
Registered
771 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
So yeah, this one kinda got away from us what with all the talk about racing, mexicans, and guns. It appears the site removed it altogether.
So lets try this again.

I'm planning on doing the rest of my exhaust with thermo-tech's copper infused wrap.

Any one else have a story about their heat wrapping techniques and such?
your heat wrapping your entire exhaust?

that seems more than excessive to me

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What im getting is the same idea, just newer technology according to them. Its only $3 more or so.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey sleeper buddy I used the copper stuff aswell, be ready to blow off the whole engine bay because after you are done it will look like a twelve year girls glamor party exploded. Copper flecks everywhere, even the front of the car it looked like I had black metal flake paint. It does a dandy job though.

·
Banned
736 Posts
i used the "old" heat wrap and it woks great. im going to a stage 5 soon so im going to get a junk yard manifold and grind it all down and wrap it and test out what you said about the hot gas moving faster. aswell as redoing the DP, and adding some the the IC pipe also.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If I were you I would use that reflective heating and cooling(frost king) wrap instead. You may aswell reflect heat aswell as retane the cold.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Corn Cob said:
Hey sleeper buddy I used the copper stuff aswell, be ready to blow off the whole engine bay because after you are done it will look like a twelve year girls glamor party exploded. Copper flecks everywhere, even the front of the car it looked like I had black metal flake paint. It does a dandy job though.
thats good to hear, I dont mind a mess if it works.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
im actually thinking about wrapping most of the downpipe just becasue it gets so close to my transmission, intercooler pipes, and oil pan

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lowbudgethero said:
im actually thinking about wrapping most of the downpipe just becasue it gets so close to my transmission, intercooler pipes, and oil pan
I gaurantee I'm doing it. But be advised:

IU spoke to Nick T about it awhile back and he told me that if I did it he wouldn't be able to stand behind the part anymore. I trust the longevity of the pipe so I'm still going to do it, but I figured I'd let you know in case you have his dp.

Just dont wrap the cat, but you probably knew that already.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It worked on my old c900 T16 - I had removed the CAT and this cooled the DP slowing down the gases so some glassfiber wrap was a cheap power restorer. It was nasty stuf to work with and I'm not tempted to do it on my NG. Also I'm not sure the stainless pipework is worth risking with excess heat. I'm a bit puzzled by copper mixed in with the wrap - won't this conduct heat away from the exhaust? One other point is that the exhaust DP is at the front on these cars and potentialy gets blast of cooling air from the rad opening. It's not ambient but compared to exhaust temps it's cold. Maybe worth fitting some kind of heat shield down the front of the pipe?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
You could paint the downpipe first with heat resistance exhaust paint, then wrap it then spray/paint again, it's best to put some heatproof paint on the wrap as it stops the copper dust comming off it and the wrap deteriorating.

By painting the DP first it should give it more protection from any moisture held in the wrap.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shirozina said:
It worked on my old c900 T16 - I had removed the CAT and this cooled the DP slowing down the gases so some glassfiber wrap was a cheap power restorer. It was nasty stuf to work with and I'm not tempted to do it on my NG. Also I'm not sure the stainless pipework is worth risking with excess heat. I'm a bit puzzled by copper mixed in with the wrap - won't this conduct heat away from the exhaust? One other point is that the exhaust DP is at the front on these cars and potentialy gets blast of cooling air from the rad opening. It's not ambient but compared to exhaust temps it's cold. Maybe worth fitting some kind of heat shield down the front of the pipe?
You are right, the copper is to get some of the heat away from the pipe, its part of their system that keeps from over insulating. It allows the heat to be dispersed evenly across the surface of the wrap so that heat can be slowly discharged, keeping good heat in the pipe, but not enough to let it overheat.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Si said:
You could paint the downpipe first with heat resistance exhaust paint, then wrap it then spray/paint again, it's best to put some heatproof paint on the wrap as it stops the copper dust comming off it and the wrap deteriorating.

By painting the DP first it should give it more protection from any moisture held in the wrap.
They actually recomend that you paint after the wrap has been put on. It helps protect the wrap from hazardous liquid spills. Not sure how it effects heat dispersion though.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
You are right, the copper is to get some of the heat away from the pipe, its part of their system that keeps from over insulating. It allows the heat to be dispersed evenly across the surface of the wrap so that heat can be slowly discharged, keeping good heat in the pipe, but not enough to let it overheat.
This smells like BS to me - if you want less insulation why not make the stuff thinner!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You dont want less, you want more, in fact they list that the new wrap will keep in around 30% more heat than the original. However you also dont want over heating for a few obvious reasons. This wrap protects against this.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
But can't you see this makes absolutley no sense:roll: how can it possibly keep in 30% more heat than before but also prevent over heating? By what process can this happen?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The original does the same thing with overheating. It says up to 30%, whhich we all know is most likely an up in the clouds number.

I see where you're coming from, it does seem a bit too good to be true.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
the copper transfers heat away from the pipe, but the rest of it can absorb a lot of energy before its temperature is raised

1 - 20 of 28 Posts