SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, think I've found my culprit on the sunroof leak....

There's a matching break in the other side., and it deposits water on top of the rail in the sunroof upper mechanical assembly instead of outside it....as such.

my question to you guys is how do I cure something like this?

I've seen the posts on here regarding what is going on with the sunroofs, but I haven't seen much on how to fix the problems.... any help here would be great, we've had 8 months of no rain, and the monsoon season has setin, and I'm tired of my lap getting wet when I take a corner.

Any help here would be great....PS, feel free to mark up my pictures, or add more, I'm a visual kinda guy.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Did you check if the sunroof drainage hoses are clogged? The water accumulation suggests to me that you have at least one hose that is clogged.

The cuts in the weatherstrip don't help matters but the drainage hoses should be able to take care of the water drainage. Try a temp fix to see if you can cure this by using a piece of moving box tape to patch the cuts then pour water on the sunroof to check for leaks. I bet you'd still have water in there.

If there's water in there after you pour the water, does it drain? How fast is it to drain?

Also do you hear the sunroof ratteling sometimes. It may simply be out of adjustment thus allowing more water infiltration than normal.

Your weatherstrip definetly needs replacing as well as you noticed.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It appears that the Glass panel seal is broken in the picture, and unfortunately that part is not sold individually from the glass panel itself, the seal comes WITH the glass panel. On the older classic 900's the seal was replaceable, but with the NG900 to the 9-3 the seal is sold as one peice with the glass panel. You're out of luck to fix that problem properly, your best bet is to buy a used glass panel from the wreckers or breakers, junk yard.

My roof seal went caput also, I pickup up a used glass panel for $125 CAD, in excellent shape.

If you want to try and fix that, your best bet is to remove the glass panel and work with it on the bench, then either try to use silicon or gasket maker to fill in that broken part and let it cure until it sets hard. Then reinstall it.

The drain holes wern't ment to accomidate a stream of water, take a look at the inside diameter of the hose. of course water may back up in the track assembly if the seal doesn't do its job.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I adjusted the sunroof a bit tighter....but it hasn't rained since....

grrr....I hate it when it looks like rain, but doesn't have the cajones to actually part the clouds and let loose.....

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
JammerML said:
well, I adjusted the sunroof a bit tighter....but it hasn't rained since....

grrr....I hate it when it looks like rain, but doesn't have the cajones to actually part the clouds and let loose.....
Use a bucket of water to test it instead of waiting for rain. But you need to check the drains as well and look at what Diosnoche said about the sunroof. He already went through the same thing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, forgot to mention that...already checked the drains, all four have pretty darn good throughput. I was pretty sure of that from the way the water seemed to be coming in, when it made it to the exit channels, it was fine, but it's pooling on top of the mechanical frame of the sunroof mechanism, and therefore running into the cabin when the car moves in a manner that applies appropriate force to the water.

The drains work well.

That said, I need to try to stop the influx of water, or conversely channel it into the drain area.

I'll test with the water hose tonight, see if the water is still getting in.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I had the exact same problem with the sunroof on my 900S. I ended up taking out the entire assembly to try and replace the gasket, but as others have said that is not something you can buy seperately. I tried some remedies to no avail, finally just stuffed some twine under the entire gasket to make it thicker. The sunroof did not open and close electrically because the motor was too weak to squish the whole thing in there, but at least it never leaked.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
KSpark said:
I had the exact same problem with the sunroof on my 900S. I ended up taking out the entire assembly to try and replace the gasket, but as others have said that is not something you can buy separately. I tried some remedies to no avail, finally just stuffed some twine under the entire gasket to make it thicker... KUDOS for an excellent solution!!:cheesy: . The sunroof did not open and close electrically because the motor was too weak to squish the whole thing in there, but at least it never leaked.
Ingenuity wins again.
But this time use a smaller diameter twine. I wonder if the other Euro car owners have figured this one out??

On the water test, use a garden sprayer to simulate rainfall - the copious quantities of water from a bucket may be too much..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts