SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post a review about my experience with Brew City Boost and the Stage 2 tune that I got for my 2003 9-3 Arc (2.0T B207R).

My car is stock except for Brembo brakes and a K&N Drop in.

I emailed BCB to talk to them about the turn around time and some options and was met with a highly responsive and highly professional member of the the BCB staff.

They addressed my concerns and explained a few things about the process.

Anyways, I chose a Stage 2 tune, proper NGK plugs, and I also requested that they eliminate the SAI parameters from the ECU just in case the system stopped functioning in the future so that I could removed it without getting a check engine light

I shipped my ECU out on Wednesday afternoon and they had it by Friday. They also TUNED AND SHIPPED it back on the same day. I had the ECU back in my hands Monday after work. All I can say is WOW!

So today I installed the ECU and swapped out the plugs. I am highly satisfied by the gains in performance and the mpg that I have been getting with the new tune so far.

It drives like a different car! The gains throughout the rev range are tremendous and it just seems more eager to run. I was thinking about selling the car a month or two ago but this feels like a different car with the performance that I was looking for.

My observations about the tune overall:

•The car just wants to rev - in every gear it is just ready to go!
•Smooth power delivery as well as a smooth idle
•Better sound from the recirc valve or wastegate (i dunno) due the higher boost. You could hardly hear it before now it sounds like it is doing something :)
•Amazing customer service with fast turn around and flexibility.
•Best money hands down that I have ever spent modding any of my cars when it comes to horsepower per dollar

Don't waste your time with a stage 1 (not that it wouldn't be a good improvement) when you can get a huge boost for $25 more plus a K&N drop-in filter.

Hopefully this will help some of you to take small plunge into patronizing one of our fellow members and do something that will help you enjoy your car more, get better gas mileage, save some money by helping rid your car of SAI (03 owners only), and giving your car the power it deserves ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, just a drop in is required. Check the site again (you scared me so I double checked a minute ago and confirmed the drop in only).

Stage 3 requires all the expensive equipment. Other tunes have different requirements IIRC so you may just have them mixed up.

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
16 Posts
bcb drop in T8 modual

im in australia with a broken down 93 2. 0t
2003 model..the T8 is dropped its load.and the bcb crew are more than helpfull and i am buying the stage 2..
itsll good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nope, just a drop in is required. Check the site again (you scared me so I double checked a minute ago and confirmed the drop in only).
You don't need a drop in filter replacement. I still use a high quality paper and my Stage 2 Vector runs great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the BCB Stage 2 on a handheld tuner, because emissions testing sucks around here and I have to switch to OEM and back.

While it is "only" a 2.0t Linear I got out to a local racetrack/dragstrip and got some numbers back from it. Not the best times due to my lack of experience and limited to only 3 tries and messed them all up, but the best was -

0-60mph : 7.2sec
0-100mph : 19.7sec
1/4mi : 15.59 @ 92mph
Calculated hp >226
Measured Weight: 1578kg

I also did nothing to it as far as stripping weight and had over 3/4 tank of gas at the time. I simply drove in, got set up, and ran a few times. I'm sure it could have been better if I had dumped the spare and tools and junkpiles from the interior, as well as had more practice on how to launch correctly.

I am very happy with the BCB results.

·
Super Moderator
9,708 Posts
I have the BCB Stage 2 on a handheld tuner, because emissions testing sucks around here and I have to switch to OEM and back.
I highly highly doubt that any state's emissions testing could detect the tune, especially just a Stage 2 with no downpipe modification. Did something happen at emissions? Or are you just playing it safe?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I highly highly doubt that any state's emissions testing could detect the tune, especially just a Stage 2 with no downpipe modification. Did something happen at emissions? Or are you just playing it safe?
I've had a LOT of trouble with the emissions testing in my city. I don't want to end up at the county testing office again shelling out money so a bunch of guys can stare at my exhaust pipe trying to find anything at all to complain about. Yes, I've had them call my emissions results a forgery before and had to have it county inspected.

So, I do it just to be safe. :cheesy:

·
Registered
88' SPG, 03' 9-3 2.0T
771 Posts
Just had a stage 2 from BCB installed on my '03 Arc and figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread. So, here's my 2 cents... WoW! What a great experience! Those guys really rock! Professional, knowledgable and overall awesome guys. Went out for a live tune, since I live ~50 miles away. They even went out their way and took care of me on a Saturday! Car feels like a totally different beast; very little turbo lag, smooth idle, and A LOT quicker. Also, the SAI delete was implemented to get rid of the CEL annoyance. I went straight to the emissions testing facility afterwards and passed it with a breeze, so if anyone has issues with the SAI pump, don't even contemplate on replacing the pump and valve - just get a tune with an SAI delete. It's the best thing you can do for your stock Saab! And while you're at it, don't forget the correct spark plugs and a K&N drop-in filter. Car runs like a champ now! Last but not least, badge that bad boy up to show your support and pride!

Thanks Casey and Kelly! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Many state I/M stations hook up to the OBD diagnostic port now and verify that the calibration ID (CALID) and calibration verification number (CVN) values are correct for the affected model. The CVN was specifically implemented to detect changes to the ECM calibration, and the OEM's all are required to report all their CALID and CVN values to the CARB, who then pass this to many state I/M administrators. Some tuners can work around it if they know the CALID and CVN by implanting "correct" values somehow. Also, different states have different rules about this.

Here in California, the validate it. If you have incorrect CALID/CVN, you fail. So here it is helpful to either have a tune that can be removed/reinstalled via a loader or a spare ECM that can be swapped in every 2 years for the test.

·
Super Moderator
9,708 Posts
Many state I/M stations hook up to the OBD diagnostic port now and verify that the calibration ID (CALID) and calibration verification number (CVN) values are correct for the affected model. The checksum was specifically implemented to detect changes to the ECM calibration, and the OEM's all are required to report all their CALID and CVN values to the CARB, who then pass this to many state I/M administrators. Some tuners can work around it if they know the CALID and CVN by implanting "correct" values somehow. Also, different states have different rules about this.

Here in California, the validate it. If you have incorrect CALID/CVN, you fail. So here it is helpful to either have a tune that can be removed/reinstalled via a loader or a spare ECM that can be swapped in every 2 years for the test.
Illinois isn't that complicated ;)

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Just had a stage 2 from BCB installed on my '03 Arc and figured I'd post here instead of making a new thread. So, here's my 2 cents... WoW! What a great experience! Those guys really rock! Professional, knowledgable and overall awesome guys. Went out for a live tune, since I live ~50 miles away. They even went out their way and took care of me on a Saturday! Car feels like a totally different beast; very little turbo lag, smooth idle, and A LOT quicker. Also, the SAI delete was implemented to get rid of the CEL annoyance. I went straight to the emissions testing facility afterwards and passed it with a breeze, so if anyone has issues with the SAI pump, don't even contemplate on replacing the pump and valve - just get a tune with an SAI delete. It's the best thing you can do for your stock Saab! And while you're at it, don't forget the correct spark plugs and a K&N drop-in filter. Car runs like a champ now! Last but not least, badge that bad boy up to show your support and pride!

Thanks Casey and Kelly! :D
I might as well post mine too!

BCB Stage 2 as well and loving it.

Ditto for me :cool:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm about 4 months into my stage 2 and haven't noticed any slipping or anything on my clutch. I'm almost positive it's the original too (2003, ~79,000 miles).

I think if/when you get up to stage 3 (for BCB) or any other tune that gets you to the 300 ft-lb range, it will start to put a lot of stress on the clutch. Otherwise, yeah it might break down a little sooner but I don't think it's really any more harmful.

Just my take.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts