SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out of the country for a couple of months and did not disconnect my new battery on my Saab 9000. What are chances the Battery is going to be dead in 90 days of no use?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Very low. If you are worried about it connect a battery charger and charge it up before you try to start the car. What kills good car batteries is trying to start the engine when the battery has insufficient charge. That overheats the plates and kills a battery that could be saved if fully charged BEFORE you try to use it. A battery that trickles down to flat will rarely fail to accept a full charge and soldier on. A battery that has been discharged fully by heavy current draw is often destroyed by that draw. Deep discharge batteries used for marine, RV, diesel engines and trucks all use reinforced plates to resist the damage caused by heavy and deep current draw.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
What difference does it make? You know you've behaved badly.
What happens to your car may be normal or much better or worse than average. Turn the key and find out (and don't be a careless bad boy again).

Good luck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you're going to make a habit of it, get yourself a $30 float (not trickle) charger. Even disconnected, batteries will self-discharge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would be tempted to recharge in while in situ before starting it. Very low batteries have been known to trigger an SRS fault in the diagnostics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts