SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a Deltran (brand name, several similar are out there) Battery Tender to keep the battery on my motorcycle (93 BMW K1100--electronic engine management) topped off between its infrequent :cry: rides. It puts a very low amperage charge (1.5amps IIRC) into the battery until a full charge is sensed, then "floats" at a .3 amp charge. Battery remains hooked to the bike, charger plugs into a separate "pigtail" that has rings that attach to the battery terminals.

Have any of you used something like this to keep your C900 battery topped off while it is still connected to the rest of the car? The Bentley manual cautions against battery charging with the terminals still connected to auto's cables. I wonder if the extremely low level of incoming current would be tolerated by the C900's electrical system.

Thanks for the benefit of your experience and knowledge.

·
4,637 Posts
Yep, I do exactly that. The car that's resting (the 'vert in the winter, the LPT in the summer) is permanently hooked up to a battery keeper charger.

As I understand it, the battery keeper monitors voltage and only turns on the charge when the voltage drops a bit rather than supplying a constant charge.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Methinks I will acquire another battery tender for the verts. :cheesy:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I've charged my Saab batterys many times without disconecting the battery cables, or damaging anything. I think the warning in the Bentley is a general rule of thumb. I also think the issue Bently is trying to save the reader from is conecting the charger to the wrong terminals and cooking the alternator or the battery. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Gabby said:
Have any of you used something like this to keep your C900 battery topped off while it is still connected to the rest of the car?
I have used an old and very conventional external charger on a 1996 900SE turbo, with the Trionic ecu, the ICE module, the SID, the ACC, electric seat controller, security system, and the flaky airbag controller. Several times on trickle charge, and a couple times on boost.

Never had any problems (not with the electronics, anyway... :cheesy: ).

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have stored my saab during the winter for years. I have used a battery tender for the last five years, I do on everything I store for the winter, even the lawn tractor. I wired the pigtail to the battery, so all I have to do is plug it in to the battery tender, and plug the battery tender in the wall. These things are great, they keep the battery charged without overcharging. They are so smart that when I open the door the status light goes from "charged" to "charging" In the spring I un plug it and drive out of the garage. All set, no worries.

·
4,637 Posts
Now, I wonder could I connect two batteries in parallel and have a single battery keeper look after both? I know batteries in parallel tend to flow because one will have less internal resistance but would the battery keeper not manage to keep up with that?...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chargers and I would think, a battery tender/maintenance device, works on my old Ford F250HD diesel that has two batteries. Hook up one side and both get a charge since they are hooked together. At least that has been my experience so far.

Don't see why it would not work with two batteries hooked together specifically for maintenance while not in use. Of course there are a just a few things that I don't fully understand....yet :cheesy:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
cdaly said:
Now, I wonder could I connect two batteries in parallel and have a single battery keeper look after both? I know batteries in parallel tend to flow because one will have less internal resistance but would the battery keeper not manage to keep up with that?...
Yes you can, but if one battery can only reach say 75% due to weak cells then both batterys will only come up to 75%.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts