SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few suppliers have made a distinction between Group 47 lead-acid batteries and AGM batteries for the Saab 9-3. Because these batteries are sometimes subject to sophisticated charging systems, I want to confirm Saab recommendations.

Is there an official specification?

·
Registered
18,816 Posts
I've never seen a spec for the battery aside from amps.

Saabs do need a battery with some "depth". We've seen issues with weak batteries that would start the car but cause run time problems (odd as it seems, and contrary to what you'd think with the alternator normally supplying run time power).

I don't know how AGM's compare on that basis as I am not very familiar with them.

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,748 Posts
Group 47 is the saab official but if you want a AGM battery - you may have to go 48 - it fits, has higher cold cranking amps, and is generally a larger i.e. more charge battery. However will not fit in the plastic battery box if your car has it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the dual specification at Sams Club. From there I went to battery university site for an explanation of AGM . While it raised a question, I have been concerned with battery failure as so much of the Saab is powered with the battery. There is a price difference and an opinion difference with the AGM battery. I am inclined to try the AGM/47 when my present battery shows signs of failure.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am the "battery guy" at my Advance Auto and AGM batteries are definitely worth it. They handle short trips much better as they charge quicker than normal batteries and they don't drain as much, and they handle variances from cold-hot much better as the acid can't freeze or boil. Not to mention they are much safer than a normal battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am the "battery guy" at my Advance Auto and AGM batteries are definitely worth it. They handle short trips much better as they charge quicker than normal batteries and they don't drain as much, and they handle variances from cold-hot much better as the acid can't freeze or boil. Not to mention they are much safer than a normal battery.
I agree. There is a wide range of prices; I found Sam's to be better than the others.
Thanks

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,748 Posts
Yeah if you are considering it - AGM technology is a better battery...and you will generally find group 48 is cheaper than 47 as more common...and as stated compare the cold cranking amps etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts