SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
12.49v is definitely low for 2000rpm. Jim's slipping belt makes sense. You should be seeing well over 13v, otherwise you are not actually charging the battery.

Sometimes a dying blower will make burning smell.

·
Super Moderator
8,451 Posts
i'ver never had an alt put out less than 14v+ at idle with everything possible turn off..over my time of working on cars I've replaced over 20 reg packs and brushes,except for 2/3 where the slip rings were badly grooved..

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok so to update - I checked the drove belts and one was quite slack and luckily I had a new pair in my parts stack so fitted two new drive belts - I also put on a good fully charged battery and I got better battery readings this time. So I’ve now put that battery on to my Saab 90 to stand for a couple of nights and see if it will start that in a couple of days - if it turns over then I know I’ve definitely got a drain on the 900

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
i'ver never had an alt put out less than 14v+ at idle with everything possible turn off..over my time of working on cars I've replaced over 20 reg packs and brushes,except for 2/3 where the slip rings were badly grooved..
Yes, 14v at idle with everything off. But Jim's test and Troy's results were with everything on. An 80a alternator is just barely enough to handle that load. That's why the 9000 went to a 115a alternator despite adding no additional equipment to speak of.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts