SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a 99 9-3 that has some needs and the first item is the alternator light. I measures the voltage while idle with nothing on and it's a constant 13.3 v.
Is that low enough to trigger the light ? Could a incar voltage regulator replacement possibly fix this ? My plan is head to a local salvage yard that has one and try to pull the alternator from one. More so than getting a cheap unit I want to learn how to pull it out without worrying about damaging the car. I also will need a handful of other things I can grab whole I'm there. Can I drive with the 13.3 alternator output with a charged battery or am I playing with fire ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the battery light, red traingle and abs light on display. I was assuming this was all due to the low charge voltage. Anything specific I should check ?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I would not expect the battery light to have anything to do with the ABS light. Probably unrelated. If there was a legit charging problem that was affecting the ABS, I'd expect a matching check engine light. Do you have an OBDII reader that can show live data? Looking at charging voltage from the ECM's perspective could be valuable. What happens if you disconnect the exciter wire from the alternator? Does the battery light go off?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not expect the battery light to have anything to do with the ABS light. Probably unrelated. If there was a legit charging problem that was affecting the ABS, I'd expect a matching check engine light. Do you have an OBDII reader that can show live data? Looking at charging voltage from the ECM's perspective could be valuable. What happens if you disconnect the exciter wire from the alternator? Does the battery light go off?
I won't have the car at home until later today. I just got a hold of a amp clamp that will work with my meter so I'll take a close look. I know the car has virtually no pad left on the rear so possibly it's just low on brake fluid. Sorry to sound like I don't know much , it's because I'm brand new to the 99 9-3. All my experience has been with my 08 9-5.
Can the voltage regulator be replaced with the alternator mounted ? I was at the junk yard today it looks like a 96 900 there is enough room to allow that but certainly not on a 9-5. The engine and steering rack looks identical to the 99 9-3 I'm getting later today. I will check voltage at the alternator as well. I'm a bit intimidated by the alternator replacement from what I have read here as well as other Saab sites.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Eh, alternator replacement typically isn't that bad. It's difficult on a Viggen, but not so much on a regular 9-3. As someone mentioned somewhere else, there can occasionally be corrosion issues if you live in a place with a lot of rust, but you can make that call once you see it. If you are measuring 13.3v anywhere, the alternator is very unlikely to be a problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eh, alternator replacement typically isn't that bad. It's difficult on a Viggen, but not so much on a regular 9-3. As someone menoccasionally be corrosion issues if you live in a
[/QUO
I got the car home and put in a new battery. I did notice a few things. Some bearing noise in the serpentine area as well as a completely stretched belt and weak tensioner. I can actually deflect the belt to the wheel well with my fingers. I have been messing the voltage and the amperage and it's a constant 13.7 and amperage from 40-100 depending on what I'm running. I'm thinking the serpentine belt didn't have enough drive ? I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days and see if the battery light comes back.
On another note the car is showing abs, brake,airbag and triangle warning. Can I reset this by pulling the ECU fuse ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts