SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2001 93 has a problem something is draining the battery, if she doesn't drive it every couple of days the battery is completely dead. I was wondering if anybody else has had a problem like this and could point in the direction to look. If I have to I'll take it to a shop and see if they can run whatever is draining the battery down, but I thought this problem may be common enough for somebody to say check this first.
Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hatchback or convertible? Proper way is to pull each fuse and measure with a voltmeter. This is a crapshoot, but I had a friends Lexus who's memory seat button was inadvertently stuck down and it caused a battery drain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hatchback or convertible? Proper way is to pull each fuse and measure with a voltmeter. This is a crapshoot, but I had a friends Lexus who's memory seat button was inadvertently stuck down and it caused a battery drain.
Convertible... I've never used a voltage meter. electricity is one of those things that escape me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have the same thing and just put a trickle charger on it if i know it won't move for a day or two. Maybe one day i will get around to trying to trace it.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Any aftermarket electronics in the car? What's the voltage of the battery when it's dead and when it's running?

Also check battery voltage after driving around for over 20 minutes and just before starting (or not :). Report back.

You're going to need a digital multimeter. You don't need a stellar one, but don't go too cheap.

The next step after checking voltages (and maybe reporting back here for comment) is to shut the car off and remove the red battery cable. Put the multimeter in line to measure current between the positive terminal and the red battery cable. See how much current is flowing. After an hour, look again (don't open any doors or do anything with the car, just look at the meter after an hour). Let us know what the current flow is initially and post-hour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts