SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, got a head scratcher..... The other week i drove back from work fine, parked up, came back 2 mins later and it woudlnt start... completely dead, thinking the battery had given up, brought a fresh one, put it it, started first turn, left it overnight, started fine in the morning, did a long journey and when i parked up, turned off and tried to start it again, same problem!!!!! :( Next on my list was to check the alternator. I checked the voltage accross a charged battery with the car running and it was fluctuating between 11.95 and 12.5 and as i had a spare alternator i changed that and witht he same test the voltage was fluctuating around 13V. With this improved voltage i thgouth i fixed it, did the same long run (2 hours) parked up..... and guess what...... nothing. So i'm kind of stuck now, any ideas? I have recently had the engine out so i might try all the earths next or even starter motor.

any input woudl be much appreciated,

many thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
There is a wire on the alternator called the exciter wire and if it has fallen off, the alternator is not energized to do any charging. Look around by the alternator for a light gauge wire with a spade lug or small rectangular plastic end with the lug inside. If it has fallen off, put it back on the lug on the alternator. If the wire has broken from the connector, the connector will be on the back of the alternator and the small wire will just be hanging.

The other thing (if the "E" wire is attached) is you might have a poor ground, so charge is poor and ignition demands is draining the batt faster than you can replenish it. In other words, you are running off the battery instead of the alternator.

Let us know what you find so I can file it in my mind for a future incident!!:cheesy:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
grif900 said:
Also, the alt. will not charge if the batt. light is burned out.
No way, really?
Good one to know!!
Thanks!!
Filed in the mind bank:cheesy:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
It's a fact. I challenge any nonbelivers hereabouts to put a digi. multi-tester on the battery posts and take a reading with the car running, and then take out the battery dummy light and test again. You will see less than 12v, indicating a discharge situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts