Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys my car decided to reward me with a dead flat battery this morning
10.4 volts..........
car was fine last night of course
fitted new battery today as wont have time thru the week
but new battery seemes to show low volts after a run also
im assuming (without much time to check properly yet)
that i have a current drain (dead short) somewhere

any of you guys had a battery drain issue and if so can you suggest where to start looking

cars running and charging fine 14.4 volts while running

just feel its likely that ive got a dead short somewhere due to killing a reliable battery overnight

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12.34 jon was 12.45 when fitted
but run round block 2 miles then tested after approx 30 mins
will leave it another two hrs then measure voltage again to see if its crept under 12 volts thus prooving a high current draw when it shouldnt be so

wasnt really able to focus on the battery issue today due to being too busy fitting new master cylinder and blleding brakes thru

hence my great happiness at the car being dead flat this morning
wife says i should name car to keep it happy............i suggested a few names but i dont think i ought to repeat them on the forum haha

·
Super Moderator
9,377 Posts
2 miles isn't long enough to put the power back into the battery that is taken out by starting the car..

when you unlock the car,you'll be waking up the car systems so they will draw power till they go back to sleep..

so voltage should really be checked when the systems are dormant..

just noticed you said 12.45v(about 80% charged) when fitted,that battery is even fully charged 12.6v is a fully charged battery..
when ever i get a new battery i always put it on low charge for a couple of hrs after i've bought it,because i know it won't be fully charged off the shelf..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts