SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 9-5 wagon, 140,000 miles, completely stock. A month or so ago, it started turning over more & more slowly. I'd charged the battery up, it would be fine for a day or two, then get slow again. Took the battery out and had it tested, it showed as bad. Bought a new battery and it was fine for a month or so, then started turning over slowly again. It's my kids daily driver, so it's not sitting. If I put it on a trickle charger every night, it's fine, otherwise the battery starts going down.

Took it to my regular guy, he said the battery is testing fine (it's new) and it's not an alternator or starter issue. He's telling me, that it has to be an electrical draw somewhere. He'll be happy to try to track it down, but it's going to be on an hourly basis. He said, it may take one hour, it may take 5 hours. My question, are there some common places to start looking? I'd hate to write a blank check for him to try to track this down. But on the other hand, the car needs to get fixed.

Thanks for any input,
Eric

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was literally the first thing my mechanic checked. He said that he has seen a lot of them where the ignition doesn’t release properly, but mine seem to be working fine.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Get a multimeter, start checking fuses for amp draw. Start with the multimeter on the higher (often 15a) position:

If you find a fuse where there is a draw, make sure it's under the smaller rating of the multimeter (in my example, 400ma) and then retest using that to get a more accurate number.

On the Saab, you will probably want to wait 10-20 minutes after the car is shut down to be sure all systems have gone to sleep. When testing, you will want to leave the multimeter in place for 30-60 seconds just in case removing the fuse & installing the multimeter causes a system to start up, etc. Wait for it to stabilize.

Test each fuse... eventually you'll probably locate one which has high draw... >20ma. Lots of stuff will probably have small draws. You probably don't care about them, but keep track just in case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a multimeter, start checking fuses for amp draw. Start with the multimeter on the higher (often 15a) position:

If you find a fuse where there is a draw, make sure it's under the smaller rating of the multimeter (in my example, 400ma) and then retest using that to get a more accurate number.

On the Saab, you will probably want to wait 10-20 minutes after the car is shut down to be sure all systems have gone to sleep. When testing, you will want to leave the multimeter in place for 30-60 seconds just in case removing the fuse & installing the multimeter causes a system to start up, etc. Wait for it to stabilize.

Test each fuse... eventually you'll probably locate one which has high draw... >20ma. Lots of stuff will probably have small draws. You probably don't care about them, but keep track just in case.
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts