SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your car was to remain in the garage untouched how long would it take for the battery to discharge?. If my car sits for about 7 day it will either have a hard time starting or not start at all. If this is normal, then I have no problem. If not then something is wrong. If I believe that something is wrong, then I feel there is something going on with the climate control panel. It acts weird sometimes by switching between Celsius and Fahrenheit all by itself. Is there a known electrical problem with control unit?

Battery is new and have had it tested to make sure its ok

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Looking at a 2005 Owner's Manual, Saab states "A car with standard equipment specification and a fully charged battery can be left for 40 days and still have a sufficient charge for starting." Then there's some stuff about extra equipment shortening this period to about 15 days. Look in the "Car Care" section under "Battery" for your year. Seven days is definitely too short.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'd say a weak battery or one that is internally-shorted and slowly discharging. A new battery doesn't need to be perfect and the tests don't look for subtle problems.

You could test this by disconnecting the battery and seeing what the voltage is to start off and then a week later. It should be near 12.6 to start and it shouldn't fall below 12.5 in that time.

You could also measure the actual current draw off the battery using an ammeter. Then pull fuses to see which systems are drawing current. Maybe some has the Amps number for a good car.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
When you measure current, wait at least 30 mins after taking fob out of ignition switch.
Do not leave fob in. It will discharge battery.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update,
So i am trying to find a parasitic draw on my battery. When I measure the draw it starts out 6.0 amp and I can watch the meter go down to .14 amp in about a minute.
Trouble 1: Is my meter suppose to scale down like that? When I come right back to it it is back up to about 6.0.
I have tried to pull all the fuse under the hood and in the dash and have gotten no concern-able decrease except when fuse 14 is pulled and the reading goes down to about 4. Trying to figure out how to test fuse in trunk. Found a blown maxi fuse #F35 for the vacuum pump. Replaced it ,no change.

Any help!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Have you waited 30 mins before measuring current?
Where is your fob and did you pressed any buttons in it?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You should double-check the cd, ehu, amps and icm...those have been the issue in the past for me. Pull all CDs too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fob was not in the ignition, but was in the center console. I did have to move the car once , so the 30 minute rule was broken. I now plan to move fob and retest.
Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So how am I suppose to pull the fuse that are on the side of the dash board and not open the door?. This morning for fun before going to work thought I would check current draw. In the still of my quiet garage I put the meter across the post and connector and I heard a fan or a motor of some sort come on. Held it on until the motor turned off as the meter scaled down from 6 amp to .14 amp. More investigation needed. Took both key fob inside the house for good measure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts