SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Loooooong time no sees, well I got rid of some Saabs and now I just have my convertible and a 900s ( not rusted) left and after 8 years of restoring I'm finally putting it together.

First :
1989 convertible 900 2.4.2
The car runs
the alternator is old but works ( new ground cable added and field wired(green/white) cleaned and reconnected in the right place.
Dash lights checked and cleaned
the lights go after the car is running and after the car stops running the battery light comes on right away and the oil light takes few seconds to light up again
the car has not been moved for months and has not run the street in like 5 years, meaning sits on my garage and I do not drive it since it was not finished
I disconnected all the ignition switch wires and the lights are still on
if I pull off Relay 21 ( E, ignition relay ) lights go off.
If I pull fuse number 7 lights go off.
right turn signal makes a bad noise and buzz ( dunno if is related)
Other electrical devices work, radio, antenna, some interior lights, fan, top, wipers, washer, left turn signal, hazard lights, lighter, defroster, etc
With the ignition key off the car, the top works.....I do not remember if this was like that before
The battery is kept charged by a battery charger and is like 2 months old

I think when I removed all the relays I did put some in the wrong place but I think I have them in order now and relay 21 is the right one in there ( if someone has a picture of the relay box of an 88 I can cross-check)
There has been some mangling with the electrical in this car and I did remove some cables that did not anywhere and were not part of the original harness.

I read :

If anyone has any ideas I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
There are a lot of possibilities here from a dead short to a bad ground to something plugged in or connected wrong. You know that things are being incorrectly switched via the ignition relay, so work upstream and determine why that's happening. Probably a goofy ignition switch, since it's the major upstream component.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with all the cables from the ignition switch disconnected the lights at the dash are still on, and the car with the cables back on the ignition switch run just fine, that is why I think is not related to the switch

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Have you checked the coil on the ignition lock relay? One side is 12v from the switch, the other is ground. Can you hear or feel the relay pull down when it's plugged in?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I can hear a click when I connect the battery, I can only hear relay number 21 clicking, I will go and test removing the other relays and see if I hear a click inside of the cabin, I will be back in 10 min....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok, interesting if I disconnect relay C ( rear window defroster ) the lights go off and I can hear a click of a relay inside the cabin, I need to now find that other relay inside

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so the relay the clicks inside is not related either, I disconnected that relay and the lights were still on, I'm wondering now if the relay is correct? the part number I have for that relay is 9556390

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the wrong relay in the wrong place I installed the 9519133 and now the lights on the dash are off, one problem solved.

But I still have the right turn signal problem, just makes a buzz noise and does not work, left turn signal does work.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Your indicator may be a bad ground , clean the ground points behind the radiator , down below the battery . several grounds terminate at that point. Looking down from the top radiator hose you will see them .

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, I did clean all the grounds including the ones close to the hood latch but the ones close to the radiator look dirty so I will give it another cleanup.
I did notice that the whole lever signal assembly is loose and it does not hold the high beam position so I'm going to replace it with my spare and see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts