SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive noticed when I start my car all the lights would turn off the. Slowly one by one turn off. I noticed the other day the warning light stays on with the battery light and oil light. Anybody have common codes that pull up along with the lights mentioned. I'm taking it In to the shop tomorrow for a coolant leak and what I suspect to be an oil leak so I'm assuming the oil light has to do with oil pressure. If anybody has insight Feel free to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should have added they only appear when I turn the key one click. Once I start the car they turn off and I don't get any reading on the SID

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
You're fine. The other lights light up for test purposes when the car is first switched on.

But, if the engine isn't running, the oil pressure stays at zero, and the alternator doesn't charge the battery. So those lights will stay on as long as the engine isn't running. It's only a problem if they come on while the engine is running.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're fine. The other lights light up for test purposes when the car is first switched on.

But, if the engine isn't running, the oil pressure stays at zero, and the alternator doesn't charge the battery. So those lights will stay on as long as the engine isn't running. It's only a problem if they come on while the engine is running.

Thanks! Makes sense. I just didn't know if the first click initiated any sort of diagnostic and was getting errors.

A little unrelated but I've noticed that when I'm driving at night with my lights on and I use an electrical component on the car, for example, roll down the windows or adjust my seat the headlights dim just a bit until I stop. Is that a sign my battery is starting to go out or a sign of a bigger issue. I was thinking this is related to the battery light turning on but ive done more research and the battery light seems to just indicate the alternator is not doing its job properly. Anyway if you or anybody has any insight on that feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
It's normal for the voltage to drop a bit when something else is switched on. The alternator can't respond instantly to changes in load. However, except for really big draws such as power windows, I would expect the alternator to pick up so that the voltage comes back up pretty much right away.

The drop in voltage, you see as dimming of the headlights. We can't tell remotely just how bad or worrisome this might be. It could be normal, or it could be that the alternator, battery, or wiring (corrosion) need attention.

You need to read the voltage at the battery:

1. With the car off overnight (give it time to settle)
  2. When car is started, but no accessories are on
  3. With the engine idling, and accessories such as heated seats, rear defrost, blower motor on
Use a good-quality multimeter, and let us know what the readings are.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey mines came on when I was driving & now my car won’t turn over anymore ..Is it a engine problem??

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you really want to keep tabs on your batttery get a load tester on eBay for like this for $30 or so. GREAT tool to let you know the state of your battery. Remember batteries are the weakest link in the electical system. ALWAYS suspect the battery first!!!

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Hey mines came on when I was driving & now my car won’t turn over anymore ..Is it a engine problem??
Which lights came on? How far did you drive with the lights on?

If the battery light was on, your battery may now be dead if you drove for a while, because the car pulls a lot of current while it's running. If you drove it for a while with the oil light on, you need to hope that it was on incorrectly, because if it was on for real, your engine is probably destroyed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts