SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was charged 85 for an oil change. was i grossly over priced?...

well after that first change, i want to start doing my own oil/oil filter changes. what kind of oil do you guys use? and what kind of tools would i need to get the oil compartment open?

also, what kind of spark plugs do i need? are there different sizes... etc...

i have close to no hands on knowledge with cars so anything step by step would be awesome :D

i own a '03 9-3 arc btw

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
what a rip off. i can buy 6 qts of mobil 1 synthetic for $30 from walmart. the filter and drain plug seal is $9 dollars from the dealer. so that's $40 dollars for a 15 minute job...but they want to charge $85-$115??? many doctors don't even make that kind of money.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not a bad price IMO, for a dealer. Next time buy the stuff and go to your local quik lube - mine charges me $20 to do it when I supply. Heck, it is worth $20 not to get my hands dirty.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Warranty question

Bob Z. said:
Not a bad price IMO, for a dealer. Next time buy the stuff and go to your local quik lube - mine charges me $20 to do it when I supply. Heck, it is worth $20 not to get my hands dirty.
I was told by my salesman that SAAB will nullify the warranty if any work is done outside of a SAAB dealership. I hope this doesn't include oil changes. What's been your experience?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
inyrmnd said:
I was told by my salesman that SAAB will nullify the warranty if any work is done outside of a SAAB dealership. I hope this doesn't include oil changes. What's been your experience?
Typical salesman bs/lies. It's pathetic that this type of misinformation still prevails.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cosmicflash said:
Typical salesman bs/lies. It's pathetic that this type of misinformation still prevails.
Yeah, I sorta figured that. Not to mention, he was kind of a douche. No offense to douches or SAABcentral. I just gotta tell it like it is. Still got a great deal though.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Bob Z. said:
See, for me the getting my hands dirty is the best part. Working on my car is like therapy for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Nickshu said:
See, for me the getting my hands dirty is the best part. Working on my car is like therapy for me.
x2 but i must say i'm less confident digging into the Saab than when I tear into my Jeep or my old car (focus)
:eek:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
this is part of it...but most of it is paranoia. i don't trust ANYONE with my car. when i used to work at a VW service dept, i saw so many cars with drain plugs overtightened, requiring an entire new oil pan. also, the dealer in my area doesn't use floor mats or seat covers, and seem to wipe their hands and feet all over the interior.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Cojoroh said:
this is part of it...but most of it is paranoia. i don't trust ANYONE with my car. when i used to work at a VW service dept, i saw so many cars with drain plugs overtightened, requiring an entire new oil pan. also, the dealer in my area doesn't use floor mats or seat covers, and seem to wipe their hands and feet all over the interior.

that is 100% accurate of the poor service I got from VW.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
that is 100% accurate of the poor service I got from VW.
well, i should have been more specific. i heard of one incident where a customer complained about over-tightening of a drain bolt by the dealer, but the rest of them came in over-tightened by walmart and jiffy lube.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Well what I witnessed was the monkey using a pneumatic gun to tighten the bolt. Im sure you can guess what happened next....Oil on the floor, me yelling, and refusing to pay for the oil change.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Okay. if your gonna change your own oil dont be a cheap *** and use a wrench for your filter.

Is the proper tool for removing the housing on the ecotec motors. It costs $15. And its on a 3/8ths drive. using a wrench is. rediculous.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
These Oil threads are rediculous. In my case, 79.95 every 7.5K for an Oil change at my Dealer comes to 160 per year. (most guys do the full interval so it's less). My previous Saab Turbo's were running Dino Oil, so every 3k, means 4-5 changes a year, lets say 120/150. Even any "Soccer Mom's" Sedan would get a 30 dollar Oil change at least 3/4 time a year

If you cant affotd an Oil Change once or twice a year you bought the wrong car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
JonV said:
These Oil threads are rediculous. In my case, 79.95 every 7.5K for an Oil change at my Dealer comes to 160 per year. (most guys do the full interval so it's less). My previous Saab Turbo's were running Dino Oil, so every 3k, means 4-5 changes a year, lets say 120/150. Even any "Soccer Mom's" Sedan would get a 30 dollar Oil change at least 3/4 time a year

If you cant affotd an Oil Change once or twice a year you bought the wrong car.
Being the diplomatic sort of fellow that I am, I wouldn't have put it so bluntly, but I've pretty much felt the same way since I got my first BMW.

On a side note: me doing my own oil changes would definitely not ensure good workmanship... ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its not that i can't pay for it, its just if its not too hard, i'd like to do it myself. i just changed my plugs and was pretty easy.

thx dave for the link, ill keep these saved for when i need to do my oil change.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts