SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months my '90 T16 vert has been cruising well but only achieving 5psi boost. The great minds on this forum were helpful in all ways but all systems checked out. Apart from checking the components and looking for air leaks I adjusted the wastegate actuator and got up to about 7.5psi of boost.

This weekend I bought a new set of spark plugs (NGK BCP 7ES) and fitted them in the afternoon on Sunday, but didn't get to drive the car until Sunday night and hey presto, full red boost available! I got a bit carried away and drove up and down my local test track boosting as legally as possible, until a mighty woosh from under the bonnet followed by zero boost and worse, zero vacuum so virtually no brakes. Luckily this was just the grommet for the brake master servo blowing out, so easily to plug back in and I have to drive carefully until I can get under the car again and adjust the wastegate back closer to normal.

So, mea culpa that I hadn't changed my plugs for some time (the electrodes were well worn) but now I have another question - do SPGs (Aeros in the Australian market) have different ways of fixing the grommets in the intake side to handle higher boost? I love the boost sensation but I want to be reasonably sure they won't blow out, should I just get new grommets instead?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Firstly, 7.7psi is a touch high for base boost. There is a chance you can do damage if everything else is not spot on, such as timing etc. I think yours should be 6.5 psi. Don't be tempted to wind it up. Higher boost levels are provided by the APC system.

Secondly, standard grommets are OK to well over standard boost. I boost to 1.3 BAR (20psi) and I have no trouble whatsoever. Buy new grommets.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks peva. I need to zero my boost gauge (it's not sitting quite at zero engine off) then wind the wastegate back to 6.5, so I am driving carefully until mid week when I will get a chance to work on it again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts