SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read online that I should use Bar's Leaks in my radiator on my 95 9000 LPT. Is this true? I just put a bottle in, and a fellow said that that is bad. Let's clear this matter up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one! I would NEVER use it myself unless I am planning on overhauling the entire cooling system. I have seen it go from a simple Rad leak, they put in Bars or a variant and then they need a water pump and a heater core.

But I will bet I will be out voted in here... people here seem sold on the stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno cprince... it just makes me mad because so many websites say go with the Bar's Leaks and I put the crap in and now people are telling me that it can be really bad. :x So I guess I just put some vinegar in the radiator seems as good of an idea as any.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Noooo. tin Fairness the Bar's Leaks crud .. does work.. and usually with No after effects... jaguars used to install it OEM :) (recently:- ) Other brands and yer "on yr Own".
Having said that it IS a bodge and prolly not clever to rely on it as a preventative.. when there is No actual need to use .

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
cprince said:
But I will bet I will be out voted in here... people here seem sold on the stuff.
Actually, I agree (just happened to see the post), I have some in my kit in the car... but it depends on why you use it. Not like it is a bad product, or going to harm your cooling system if you put some in... more like, I have about five different sets of wise grips and adjustable wrenches I like a lot... but I don't use 'em where an old-fashioned flare nut wrench is called for like some people...

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Some Saab mechanics swear by a small dose of it to prevent heater core leaks.

Ther stuff has been in use for 60 years, the odds are it is not killing many engines. Do you need it? Hard to say. I throw a half dose in every two years when I also use Prestone Flush, backflush, and change the coolant. After 12 years I'm still on my original radiator and heater core, so it is not all bad, but I would ber cautious of putting a full dose into a healthy system.

Just my 2cents worth.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My two cents!:cheesy: If it ain't broke , don't try to fix it. It work well, but unfortunitly it can plug up a aged corroded system to the point of overheating the motor . Will temporarly seal a radiator ,and a small head gasket leak and I have used it to buy some time while I rounded up parts to fix correctly a cracked head but can a mask of a more serious problem when its time to fix it right. Looks just like oil in the cooling system to a potential buyer.:eek: Pat

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Works great. The main problem is Euro style cooling systems use a pressurized expansion tank that gets very little actual coolant circulation. The non pellet style of Bar's leaks is the better type to use as it will circulate faster.

In my market only the heavy duty "pellets in sludge" solution is available so what i do is pour the liquid into the expansion tank and squeeze the upper rad hose afew times to draw the expansion tank liquid into the water pump inlet hose. I then extract some coolant from the header tank and put it into the Bar's leaks bottle to start dissolving the pellets. I repeat this process until all the pellets have dissolved and are transferred into the cooling system.

It still takes months for there to be enough circultaion from the expansion tank into the cooling system in general for the Bars Leaks to begin working.

I have had it cure a heater core seepage for over five years before the end tanks on the heater core finally gave out (my 86 original heater core lasted 14 years and outlasted the radiator).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not sure about everyones else here, But I personally don't like putting crap like that into may car, besides if it has a fairly large leak its going to have to be replaced iun the futire any way but, if it was a small pin hole or something I would just use that epoxy like stuff on the outside, I have had good luck with that stiff before, I'm not sure of the name but it comes in a silver tube, and you just cut a piece off and mix together. its only like 5 bucks a tube... works pretty good...

R

·
0 Posts
I have to say avoid any additives in any system of a car.

Radiator additives often cure a small leak, but instigate water pump failure etc.

As REDTURBO84 said; If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I've been using it for decades now, its great in a get you home in an emergency, holed radiator etc, the AA and RAC use it. I've had it in my old cars, new cars and US van. It has never caused any other components to fail in any of my vehicles although I use the liquid Barrs stuff. It actually has lubricating properties so why it is supposed to junk water pumps is beyond me.

I have no problems using it when its required and it was plugging up the numerous holes in my Chevy dayvan radiator for 8 years.
Don't worry about it in your car...these are only my opinions based on my experiences, like someone said above everyone has a different opinion.
Personally I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...lifes too short ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Verdict.

Bar's Leaks is o.k., and I don't think it will screw up your radiator or water pump. Now that I have said that my water pump and heater core will blow up. damn!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've used the Bar's stuff in my old T16S and it sorted out a leak that I had, no problems either having used it.

Zahid:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
airdevil85 said:
I'm not sure about everyones else here, But I personally don't like putting crap like that into may car, besides if it has a fairly large leak its going to have to be replaced iun the futire any way but, if it was a small pin hole or something I would just use that epoxy like stuff on the outside, I have had good luck with that stiff before, I'm not sure of the name but it comes in a silver tube, and you just cut a piece off and mix together. its only like 5 bucks a tube... works pretty good...
Could you be talking aout J.B. Weld? I have used that stuff before for PS line leak on an old Crown Vic ex-cop car! Worked for the 5 months that I still had that ride until I retired it to the local dirt oval track!! Thats another story for another thread another time!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
GM used to put bars leak in every new car. Then they switched to a GM brand product that is very similar. Of course, GM stock is now rated as junk bonds....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Which Bar's Leaks?

I am flushing and changing my coolant and I was planning on adding some Bar's Leaks. I think there is a small crack in the heater core somewhere because I can occasionally smell coolant when the heat is on. The store near me carries 3 types of Bar's Leaks, and I don't know which to get. One is a small tube the size of a roll of change that looks like some powdered metal, one is called "liquid aluminum" and comes in a bottle, and one is labeled "heavy duty" and has pellets in black sludge. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
739 Posts
ot0tot said:
I am flushing and changing my coolant and I was planning on adding some Bar's Leaks. I think there is a small crack in the heater core somewhere because I can occasionally smell coolant when the heat is on. The store near me carries 3 types of Bar's Leaks, and I don't know which to get. One is a small tube the size of a roll of change that looks like some powdered metal, one is called "liquid aluminum" and comes in a bottle, and one is labeled "heavy duty" and has pellets in black sludge. Any recommendations?
How many miles do you have on your '97 Aero??:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put a bottle of 'rad weld' in to my 9000 7 years ago as a bodge for a leaking radiator while my new radiator arrived by mail order. My new radiator is still in its box 7 years and 100 thousand miles later. So I have no complaints about additives.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts