SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's the deal.

I am about to commence my engine rebuild, but while shopping I was reminded of the age old addage: Less is more.

So here goes. I have heard of dsm owners entirely removing their balance shaft assemblies. In order to gain what benefits I am not sure. I truly know nothing of race-engine building, and thats why I am not expecting this to be an entirely easy, or successful build (But i'm always optimistic). So, what would happen? Would my engine simply vibrate itself to pieces?

Also, I am planning on removing the power steering assembly, as well as the air conditioning. And finally, I am going to make an atmospheric wastegate dump. All of these will hopefully have a simplifying and over-all beneficial effect on the engine.

What else can be stripped off? I will be running a Crank position sensor to fire my SDS engine management coil packs. Also, I will be rotating and clocking the turbo so I can take intake air from beneath the front right headlight air, and then work my way across the FMIC and then straight up and into the throttle body (Instead of that crazy maze of back and forth piping there is right now). Ah yes, and the APC will be removed, and exchanged with a profec B boost controller (I want individual boost control, no mucking with SDS)

Let's simplify!

Fewf.. Maybe its time I went out and bought a bentley manual.

-Dan

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well, I wouldn't worry about balance shafts as the B202 doesn't have any...

You can get rid of the breather line that runs from the valve cover to the intake pipe. Getting rid of the AC definitely frees things up in the engine bay, much easier to work on the car that way.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Well as said.. there Ain't No balance Shaft to remove :)
Removing the PS pump fres up mebe 5/6 hp.. Makes the car a real pig to drive though. But Hey! Hero Drivers are Tough.
Removing AC will at least let more air to your Radiator wich will be stressed even harder due to Mods.
An Atmospheric Wastgate dump will ONLY make rude noises.. absolutely nothing for Perf.
Sure You can stick in whatever "controller" the Magazines tell you to.. But be aware the OEM apc is a pretty decent setup.. not cheaply/easily improved upon.
Best point The Saab trans axle sheds it's gear Teeth rather easily with OEM boost levels and after 12 psi.. Trans replacements occur surprisingly often for most people.
Enjoy :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts