SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beast has started to bang pretty hard over our cruddy streets. Also now that its slippy out, when the wheel is at maybe 70%+ of full lock it tends to clonk clonk clonk and sort of jump. And if you hit a a bump in the road (say every 5 feet in our town :evil: ) it has a tendency to pull. Not neccesarily to one particular side. Sort of feels like torque steer, but trust me, it ain't torque steering!

Now I can guess that I need to check my ball joints, A arm bushings, shock bushings and CV's (especially on the one side where the banging is really coming from). Does this sound like anything very specific to anyone. My real fear here is that all said components are all worn terrifically :confused:

I can fix it all, I can afford the parts, unfortunately I'm finding myself just a tad lazy this fall for car work. I had some body work that really needed attention and I didn't do it. My new thought is just to let it rot off over the winter and get on it in the spring (pretty sure I said that last winter). My front (pulley end) main seal is leaking like its 20 beer into the night. (have the part in the workshop...have had it there for 5 years...) Lazy!

I just can't feel bothered to do any of it. And I'm really not even enjoying driving these days at all.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
jetman said:
And I'm really not even enjoying driving these days at all.
I'm not surprised, if the poor thing's that shagged out.

GET ON WITH IT! It'll drive MUCH nicer with all that done. You know it will.

Strikes me that you're heading for a crunch point for this car - do the work, sell as a project. Or break. The longer you leave it, the more things'll add up, and the more rapidly it'll lean towards that third option.

Murderer.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Just a guess - but I'd speculate that you've got a ball joint that's about to unjoin itself - leaving a ball, a socket and a disconnected lower control arm ....

Get that thing up in the air and check it out - I know it's not "fun" work - but it's healthier and funner than the alternative (walking home, at best, with your car left by the side of the road!)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Jetman,

I thought you were going to take care of this one!:nono;

Get on with it! Get the parts and go nuts.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah, get on with it! You know you'll enjoy the car again when it's fixed.

I can relate to putting things off though. Just last week I finally tracked down and fixed a water leak that has been bugging me for a couple years!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have taken care of it sort of. The engine just sings now :D

I've always mostly taken to engine work and diagnosis so I guess its natural.
I'm pretty sure I have some new ball joints too sitting on the shelf.

So let's see, my choices are Sat -2c and snowy or Sun +5 and rain :D

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey refresh my memory. Upper and lower balls are the same on our cars?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I can't believe my ears!

Your suspension was bound to get banged up what with all the Dukes of Hazzard driving and jumping you've been doing!

For an afternoon's worth of work you could easily freshen it all up!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheRedBaron said:
I can't believe my ears!

Your suspension was bound to get banged up what with all the Dukes of Hazzard driving and jumping you've been doing!

For an afternoon's worth of work you could easily freshen it all up!
Bah I don't Duke my road car!!!! Much :D I've had a few parts cars up at the farm that were only ever going to be parts cars. Those ones get no mercy! You should see what happens to a 900 when it meets a stack of round bales at 80km!

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
jetman said:
Bah I don't Duke my road car!!!! Much :D I've had a few parts cars up at the farm that were only ever going to be parts cars. Those ones get no mercy! You should see what happens to a 900 when it meets a stack of round bales at 80km!
Haha, I also remember hearing one survived a 42 ft. jump intact? :lol:

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd take an occasional jump in the car over banging around our terrible roads!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matthew! That's not nice!! That would be a whole lot more of a nightmare then ball joints. Also I remember that way back when I got the car the right spring jumped out of its upper cup holder dish thing.
I checked last night and I do have a set of four high quality ball joints sitting there.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My 94 vert made that kind of noise for a bit when going over irregularities--turned out someone had loosened the nuts that secure the lower control arms to the body--I found them when replacing the ball joints in an attempt to tighten things up :eek:

Lower control arms were moving/banging/popping around trying to take leave of the vehicle!

Once properly secured, the front end klunking disappeared! Groaning went away once the ARB bushes were lubed with silicone spray. All nice and tight and quiet!

Good luck! I hope you find a warm, dry place to check things out (if not warm, at least dry)!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Success. And failure. The lower shock bushing was missing. Not a scrap of it there. I just yank a decent one of my parts car and was riding smooth on a test drive in 20 minutes. I took it down a route that had been giving me fits dodging pot holes and crevases. Couldn't find any of them. Wheel did not wobble on a 360 full lock low speed pass. And funny enough the car tracked better down the road.

Also swapped out the washer stock from the parts car as we suddenly lost washer fluid when the snow hit last week. Back on easy street.

Almost. Thankyou Matthew for helping me find drive axle tunnel rust. Its not going to snap in half tomorrow, but its also going to limit the life of this car to probably a year. Let the hunt beging for a replacement. Too bad a spotless 92 SPG was going for $2500 around here last week and wifey thinks we need "chriss mess" whatever that is.
Well we'll make it through the winter. And I don't hate my car any more. Its only 2:30 and I have the rest of the day to lay about. Or maybe organise my workshop.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Just stop putting those 86 SPG parts on the 82 and instead put the 82 parts on the 86 SPG :)

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's an SPG on saabnet that's dead in Kingston. Low compression died on highway it says. Probable HG?
My SPG was almost the rustiest 900 I've ever seen. And my wife says it has to be gone by the 10th.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
As much as I love 900s, at some point we have to come to terms with the really rusty cars just are not worth it :(

Jetman, you could just weld the lower suspension area to give you some more life and if you are really partial to 900s find a real nice example to use in spring, summer, and fall.

Newer Saabs are very cheap too and make excellent winter beaters with no guilt. You could buy a GM 900 which will have far less "rust" for $1,500 a get some good life out of it. I find the older GM900 somewhat horrific; however, they do not look half bad, they are comfortable, and terminal rust is not there yet.

Heck older 9-5s and 9-3's are sub $3K in some areas now.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
jetman said:
Almost. Thankyou Matthew for helping me find drive axle tunnel rust. Its not going to snap in half tomorrow, but its also going to limit the life of this car to probably a year. Let the hunt beging for a replacement.
Ummm, why not fix it? It's fairly serious surgery, but not _that_ bad - and it'll be a lot cheaper than another car with a pile of problems you've already fixed on your current one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts